eBay Nigeria scam

Rmil6617
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all 

I have sold my iPad on eBay the buyer has not paid for it. This has been going on for a couple of days they are sending me email saying they are going to make payment. The eBay account has an address in London and zero feedback. The first email I got said they are away on business and will make payment today. So I get an email today saying they have made payment via PayPal . It had a PayPal email receipt attached to it that looks very genuine they have included an extra  hundred pounds and want me to send it to Nigeria also a note on the email that states the transaction will show as pending on PayPal until I send about tracking number. 

I believe this is a scam has anyone else experienced the same thing ?. 

Login to Me Too
179 REPLIES 179

AnkurAgarwal
Contributor
Contributor

I recently posted an ad on quikr.com regarding selling my used iphone 5.

I got 2 replies to that ad- both telling me that they are from London and want to buy the iphone. They told me that they are ready to transfer money to my account, and wanted to ship me the iphone to Nigeria. They are ready to pay more than i asked. 

One of them told me that he will not pay through paypal, and he can pay via bank transfer. 

What shall I do? Please help..

Login to Me Too

Sollysch

Ive done it... sent my almost new iphone 5 off to nigeria, along with £200 for customs and £200 for delivery... Feel like such a knob... £850 gone... ski trip - no chance, PS4 not any time soon. Thanks for the scam Nigeria. 

Funny thing is we all get cought out because of the trust we put into PayPal's name. Strange how little paypal seem to care about someone using the service(at)paypal.co.uk email address. Even more annoying how they dont seem to care that people have been consistently been scammed by the same method over and over again. 

If anyone has recieved some form of compensation for the fraud please let me know. Neither paypal or ebay or the police/action fraud seem too fussed about doing anything about this. 

Login to Me Too

carte-_-blanche
Contributor
Contributor
Oh my goodness! I think my friend may have fallen for the scam! He sold and posted his iPhone 5s to someone in NIGERIA!!! At first I didn't think much of it... But when he relist the item (he had 2 to sell) the SAME PERSON bought it in a short period of time and demand it posting out to him!!! It's then I realised something's not right!!! I googled iPhone scam Nigeria and found this! Gosh, I really hoped it hadn't happen to my friend but I think unfortunately he really has fallen for it!!!! DO NOT SEND ANYTHING TO NIGERIA!!!!!!!
Login to Me Too

thebigfrog
New Community Member
Spoiler

The same thing just happened to me. I had someone contact me off of ebay and said that they would buy my MacBook for more than it was worth. After a good 3 days they said that they had "deposited" the money into my E-Bay account which was false. They then said that I needed to send them a tracking information in order for the payment to go through. After that point the transaction was done. Reported him and then relisted the item. People really are desperate.

Login to Me Too

Atomsk89
New Community Member

I just want to let you all know that you just saved me from this scam.

It's the same MO. They requested more info which I replied to with my personal email, then "paypal" sent me an email saying the payment had been made (with an extra 200 dollars on top = red flag) and that the shipping address was in Nigeria (BIG red flag) and was a present of their son. Got skeptical and google brought me here. Reported them to ebay.

Thank you so much guys!

Login to Me Too

marbear
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me a few days ago!

I posted my kobo ereader for sale up on kijiji, and all of a sudden I get a text message thats a local number saying to email them because they're interested.

So this person in the email claims to be Angelina **bleep** who's out of state for military purposes. Pretty bad grammar for someone who's in military training.

This person made a payment right away of 150 dollars. Their emails look so genuine.

I was so close to shipping it but I was too lazy (thank god for that).

It wasn't until I checked my emails on my computer that the emails were coming from: marybills on behalf of service paypal, it raised a very high red flag.

So I re-read a couple of emails from "paypal" and most of their lines were used by the person claiming to be Angelina.

That's when I called paypal to cancel the transaction, they said there is nothing pending in your account. 

I spoke with the paypal employee for suggestions on how they would stop harrassing me.

I took his suggestion to email them "Sorry found another buyer" then this person says I need to give him a refund haha. So what I did was I sent him an email saying 

" Nice try. Do you want the police to refund your money? Cause my brother is a cop. I've already reported your emails and what not, they're probably tracking you right now actually. Is scamming people online your business? cause that's pretty sad. You better make a run for it, I suggest you go start packing. Cheers loser."

Just to scare them a bit, as I was being threatened that if I do not ship the item within 24 hours they would permanently disable my account and open up some case to embarrass me. What a bunch of idiots.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I would not have emailed back that way. They have been known to use your email addy and sign you up to lots of horrible web sites in revenge.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Smilicu

God bless you guys,I was on my way to the postal office to send my samsung galaxy s3 to Nigeria when I was thinking ,Maybe I should read something on google.I was actually in the bus to my postal office.Thank you guys!What I should do now?

Login to Me Too

Smilicu

God bless you guys,I was on my way to the postal office to send my samsung galaxy s3 to Nigeria when I was thinking ,Maybe I should read something on google.I was actually in the bus to my postal office.Thank you guys!What I should do now?

His fake son details:

xxxxxx

*Post edited to comply with forum guidelines*

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi Smilicu,

We are so glad you did not fall victim to this scam, thank you for posting about your experience. I would now suggest marking all communication from this person as spam through your emails and ceasing contact with them altogether.

You can forward these & any future suspicious emails to spoof@paypal.com.

Siobhán 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.