eBay Nigeria scam

Rmil6617
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all 

I have sold my iPad on eBay the buyer has not paid for it. This has been going on for a couple of days they are sending me email saying they are going to make payment. The eBay account has an address in London and zero feedback. The first email I got said they are away on business and will make payment today. So I get an email today saying they have made payment via PayPal . It had a PayPal email receipt attached to it that looks very genuine they have included an extra  hundred pounds and want me to send it to Nigeria also a note on the email that states the transaction will show as pending on PayPal until I send about tracking number. 

I believe this is a scam has anyone else experienced the same thing ?. 

Login to Me Too
179 REPLIES 179

ShalindaH

This is a complete scam! I am glad I called customer service about no pending payment because they said it is most likely a scam, and that they don't affiliate with Nigeria. The same story was given to me..."I am traveling and the PS4 is for my son in Military camp in Lagos, Nigeria. Please send it to him." At first I was pleased because my boyfriend is from Nigeria and it is his system. But after calling customer service they said it is most likely a scam. I didn't really think I was getting scammed so I proceeded with trying to ship it out before 24hrs. I contacted my local UPS store that is on my school campus (FSU) and asked if I could ship internationally to Nigeria. The UPS guy immediately said if I do not know them personally don't send it, that scams are always coming from Nigeria and if I ship it they aren't responsible. They said I should relist it and sale it to someone in the U.S. He could not stress enough how much he does not recommended that I follow through with it. I contacted PayPal again after that and they had no record of any emails sent to me recently, I forwarded the emails to spoof and they replied and it came back in my inbox...the fraudulent emails however from service@paypal were in my junk email. Customer support told me that EMAILS SHOULD NEVER END UP IN JUNK MAIL! And that was something that was weird to me too so at this point I did believe this was a scam. Now reading everyone's similar stories..especially "oh it's for my son" I am so shocked that this was happening! PLEASE BE AWARE!!!

Also the buyer said they added and extra $100 for shipping and handling! 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Nigerians can't own a paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

tmfamous92

This happened to me just now. This is the first time I've ever used eBay to sell. I tried to sell my DSLR with all of it's accessories. I made it available for $620 and after 45 minutes of listing the item, it was sold. I was so happy that I would be able to have some extra cash for new pc parts! I sent an invoice and told the buyer that as soon as his payment was received, I would send him the item. He requested contact information through eBay which I understood, because I'm pretty skeptical when it comes to things like this. Well, I still hadn't received any money before I went to bed. Then randomly at 4am, I get a text message that says "Hello you there..?" This guy was horrible with spelling and English in general, but I figured that some people just weren't so good at it. I respond with a "Yes. Who is this?" He says that he bought my item. Then he says he is sending the money and that I should get an email from my PayPal account. I get one and he says to make sure I send the item to the address in the email. It's in Nigeria. I felt off about the entire thing to begin with. The number he was using to text me (and why not call?) was a California number, his eBay address was in Wisconsin and now he wanted to ship this item to Nigeria for his grandson?? So glad this was here for me to see. I felt suspicious, did a quick Google search and found this. Thank God, because I was about to go to the post office to send it off. I ended up texting back "Apparently this is a scam. It's funny because I work with the police." I got an immediate response of "What are you talking about.." I wrote back telling him to call me instead of texting. No response. 🙂 Some people are ridiculously desperate. Smiley Indifferent

Login to Me Too

redkronos2
New Community Member

Someone just tried this scam on me. I was selling a video camera on Ebay.  They got my hopes up. But, when I checked my real PayPal account , it contained $0. 

Login to Me Too

boeingpete
New Community Member

I narrowly escaped this when the guy in the post office suggested I check my account as the emails I had received might be fake. Apparently, he has seen dozens of cases of eBay'ers sending stuff to Nigeria and then trying to get the package back.

The emails I received purportedly from eBay and PayPal all looked genuine, except the domain was was clearly not ebay's or PayPal's.

I would like to report this to the POlice but I doubt they will do anything, but I reckon millions of £/$ are being 'stolen' like this, and something should be done about it.

Boeingpete 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Not sure the UK police have jurisdiction in Nigeria, also there is an easy way not to be scammed >>

Do not send anything unless the funds are showing in your paypal account balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nikitasharma
New Community Member

I was selling this item on eBay.co.uk, it got sold within 5 hours to a buyer from USA, buy it now. They didn't transfer the funds, and were requesting for it to be sent to Nigeria, and pay additional Royal Mail next day delivery charges 20GBP. I went to the Post Office to ship it out they said, minimum cost will be 71 GBP. So I tod the buyer but she insisted on me shipping it out for it MUST only cost 20 GBP( she was told by her friend who works at Royal Mail). All this while I am getting"very authentic looking emails from paypal- look alike emails/" asking me to ship out the item immediately! Meanwhile, my boss at work mentioned how ppl scam u on eBay, so I googled it..and there you GO! first result for scams on paypal/ebay was similar to this one. She/He is still insisting on me refunding the money she has been charged back by Western Union Money Transfer. I have reported it now, hopefully will receiving a positive response and strict action from their end. Very disappointed and have taken off all my listings form eBay now following this experience.

@Rmil6617 wrote:

Hi all 

I have sold my iPad on eBay the buyer has not paid for it. This has been going on for a couple of days they are sending me email saying they are going to make payment. The eBay account has an address in London and zero feedback. The first email I got said they are away on business and will make payment today. So I get an email today saying they have made payment via PayPal . It had a PayPal email receipt attached to it that looks very genuine they have included an extra  hundred pounds and want me to send it to Nigeria also a note on the email that states the transaction will show as pending on PayPal until I send about tracking number. 

I believe this is a scam has anyone else experienced the same thing ?. 

Login to Me Too

jackf15
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am in the middle of this exact scam. I was wondering how eBay resolved your problem, and how did you get the scammer to stop bothering you? He/She has been texting me and it's very annoying.

Thanks so much!

Login to Me Too

fyfelyfe
New Community Member

yes I experience the same thing! BIG SCAM! pretty convincing though

Login to Me Too

nigel1234

hi we have exprienced the same thing was her name sharon.keith by any chance? u havent sent the items have u?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.