double paid after dispute resolution - who gets the money back?

julie_E
New Community Member

Months after paying an invoice, a client disputed the charge. I emailed her, reminding her of our transaction (a photography session), and she sent me a check.  It turns out there was fraudulent activity on her account and she disputed many charges, mine was one of them because she forgot she had made the payment and didn't recognize it when asked by the bank.  Months after this, long after the check had cleared, PayPal resolved the dispute in my favor.  So now I have the extra balance in my account.

Who gets the money back?  I imagine that if PayPal ate the cost, it should go to them, but I can't figure out how to ask them through various help avenues.  If the bank covered it as part of fraud protection, then it's none of my business and I should just refund her.

Thoughts?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@julie_E 

To contact customer service for assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or private message via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

julie_E
New Community Member

oh of course!  I don't know why I tried every avenue except actually calling. (silly me)

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.