chargeback and new customer issue

toni7467
Contributor
Contributor

I operate a real estate school. A student paid online. Four days after class started (and he received two textbooks), he submitted a dispute saying he didn't authorize the charge.  I asked him about it and he said he had made a mistake and notified PayPal that he did, in fact, authorize the charge. Nevertheless, the case continued....I submitted my response with the above info, but PayPal ruled in the customer's favor Jan 29 and charged back to my account. 

The customer now says he hasn't received the funds.  Is there a way to check this?  I think he is trying to cheat me.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

toni7467
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Martina.  I talked with a customer service rep Saturday and he explained that the customer had filed the unauthorized charge complaint with his credit card company, so that is why I don't see a refund...it was charged back to his bank.   You all have been very helpful!  Thank you!!!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi toni7467,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

In general, it sounds like you provide a service. If a buyer files a case for an authorised transaction, you should have the option to respond to the case in your Resolution Centre. However, services and digital items are not covered under our Seller Protection policy in case of chargebacks or unauthorised transactions, I am afraid. 

Regarding the refund, do you see the payment as 'Refunded' in your PayPal account? If yes, it would mean that the amount has been refunded to the buyer. If your counterpart cannot locate the payment, s/he can contact us directly and we will be happy to help. 

You can find here more information on our Seller Protection policy.

I hope this helps!

Martina

Login to Me Too
Solved

toni7467
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Martina.  I talked with a customer service rep Saturday and he explained that the customer had filed the unauthorized charge complaint with his credit card company, so that is why I don't see a refund...it was charged back to his bank.   You all have been very helpful!  Thank you!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.