buyer claiming unauthorised access to PayPal for eBay purchase

letstalkabout6
Contributor
Contributor

I sold an item on eBay to a buyer in the USA (I am in the UK) following a number of messages from the buyer promising immediate payment if I discounted - accepted these offers 3 times and finally he bought the item but paid for it a week later on PayPal. The eBay user and PayPal user are the same, and have the same address. He asked me to mark as a gift. I sent the item tracked and signed and the delivery company attempted delivery on 3rd July but no-one in, so left message. On precisely the same day the buyer filed a claim for an unauthorised payment from their PayPal account for this transaction. This is clearly an attempt by the buyer to defraud me - I have provided tracking, copies of messages from eBay, and confirmation of sending to authorised address but I have limited faith in Paypal seller protection against this type of fraud. Should I also report the buyer to eBay ? Is this kind of scam well known on Paypal? Welcome any advice.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@letstalkabout6 

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, so your best bet is to go and read up on it to make sure you were covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

letstalkabout6
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.If the buyer has had their account hacked that would mean the buyer also had their eBay account hacked, entered into correspondence with me and asked 3 times for discounts, let two offers elapse, bought the third offer but didn't pay until they got the warning from eBay after 7 days, frequently told me they were short of money then on the day attempted delivery is made they claim to their financial institution,(ie credit company not PayPal) that the transaction was unauthorised. The eBay and PayPal delivery addresses and names both match and of course I sent tracked and signed to the correct Paypal address. So I guess that means I'm covered. Also the buyer is not now responding to messages through eBay which if they weren't trying to defraud me is rather odd. My guess is he wants to get the payment delayed or is fraudulent. Or both. I don't believe for a minute his account has been hacked given the 2 weeks worth of saved messages and offers made on this item. If you hack the account you just buy it straight away you don't engage in 3 sets of pleading for a small discount. Just hope I'm covered. eBay especially is truly dreadful in terms of seller protection against fraud.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.