Who is PayPal likely to side with in a dispute?

wayfarerswareho
Contributor
Contributor

I am a merchant

I invoiced a customer on 8/27 and the purchased item was delivered on 8/29.

On 10/22 the customer filed and stated that "Item not as Described" and put a hold on around $1200 of available funds of mine.

Customer states that the unit is not working properly and he does not like it. Since the item is electronic, it needs to be installed. There could have been an error in installation but none the less the manufacturer is willing to replace the unit 100% and has actually sent prepaid shipping labels to the customer.

Customer wants a refund and not an exchange.

Based on the time and effort spend to resolve the issue and the customer not willing to accept an exchange, what is your thoughts on if I should fight this or not?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@wayfarerswareho wrote:

I am a merchant

I invoiced a customer on 8/27 and the purchased item was delivered on 8/29.

On 10/22 the customer filed and stated that "Item not as Described" and put a hold on around $1200 of available funds of mine.

Customer states that the unit is not working properly and he does not like it. Since the item is electronic, it needs to be installed. There could have been an error in installation but none the less the manufacturer is willing to replace the unit 100% and has actually sent prepaid shipping labels to the customer.

Customer wants a refund and not an exchange.

Based on the time and effort spend to resolve the issue and the customer not willing to accept an exchange, what is your thoughts on if I should fight this or not?

In order for the buyer to get a refund, they must return the unit so request that. Because if PayPal finds in favor of the buyer, that is what they have to do anyway to get a refund once the dispute is escalated to a claim by either party. The buy is responsible for return cost. They can file for partial or whole reimbursement of their return costs: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

wayfarerswareho
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you. I don't think there should be a refund on this product. I think the customer needs to take advantage of the warranty since he has had the item for 40+days. Thoughts?
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@wayfarerswareho wrote:
Thank you. I don't think there should be a refund on this product. I think the customer needs to take advantage of the warranty since he has had the item for 40+days. Thoughts?

You can’t force something the customer don’t want. The buyer will escalate and PayPal will make a decision and their policy is return for refund and the buyer will be required to return the item. You can present the warranty offer to PayPal or during the dispute before escalation but PayPal can’t force the buyer to accept that either unless PayPal finds in your favor of course. You get to keep the money and work with the buyer on the warranty offer.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

INAD trumps any merchant return policy-if the item is defective,why cant the buyer return the item.

Are you a reseller which rely on the factory or wholesaler to ship the item?

if so,then whose return address is on file with Paypal?

buyer must return the item to the address given by Paypal and that address would come from your Paypal account (return address) or your home address.

with tracking,once tracking shows delivered and signed for (sinc item its $1200),you or Paypal will refund..

os if the return address is your home address,it means you will have to return it back to the factory or wholesaler .-extra cost for you. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.