What does "Seller Protection" mean?

tongmeng
Contributor
Contributor

I am honest seller.  I sold some laptop to some buyer. I shipped it by UPS, and required that the item must be signed by buyer. 

After about 10 days, the buyer claimed that it was "Unauthorized transaction". It is obvious that the buyer tried to scam me. 

After Paypal investigated this case, the Paypal made decision in favor of me. Thank Paypal for your supporting honest people. 

However, I still have a question. Paypal told me that:

"We're happy to confirm that the following transaction was covered under Seller Protection because you met the PayPal Seller Protection requirements. $XXXX USD is now available in your PayPal balance and there is no further action required."

My question is: Will this fraudulent buyer get his money back?

Or this buyer will get his money back, but it is just PayPal "Seller Protection" program, which gives me the money. If it were in this case, then I will 

feel sorry that bad people would not get punished.  

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tongmeng 

Possibly. 

It is also quite possible that the account holder’s account did experience unauthorized use. You just never know for sure who you’re selling to. PayPal covered you via seller protection because your transaction met the coverage requirements.

It’s sad but with the internet, it’s not easy to catch. The scammer can be from anywhere in the world.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

tongmeng
Contributor
Contributor
This buyer is obviously a scammer. No bank or credit card companies will allow you to pay more than two thousands to purchase without multiple verifications. As to this transaction, I have a lot of email communications with this buyer for negotiation of price. Thus, I do believe this buyer is scammer. Next question: How can we make transactions safer in the future ? Can we request a recorded video conference meeting with the buyer, where the buyer and seller both show their driver license and review the invoice? PayPal needs to gives us more instructions for transactions with like $1000 or more; PayPal needs double verifications with buyer before release the money to seller.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.