Vehicle Purchase paid through paypal

Jdontonville
New Community Member
I recently sold a vehicle and was paid through PayPal. I just received an email yesterday that the buyer filed a claim saying the vehicle was not what I told him. I described everything that I knew was wrong with the vehicle. He never took the vehicle for a test drive, he said in the claim that I did not let him drive. Proceed to write the opposite of everything that I told him that was wrong with the vehicle. He has had it for almost two months now. He paid me and I have already transferred the money, and the title is already signed. I will not have to give him his money back correct? What happens to the vehicle if he wins the case? I would receive the vehicle back correct? Oh ya, not that I would want it as I have a picture that he has taken it out four wheeling already. Thank you!
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jdontonville 

No one wins the case because vehicles are not covered under buyer or seller protection. PayPal may not rule on the case when escalated but both parties can still resume using the PayPal's online dispute resolution process to resolve matters or take it to small claims court. Or the buyer can fall on their credit card chargeback rights if they paid with credit card and that's a whole 'nother ball game as the creditor makes the decision, not PayPal. Can't predict what's going to happen with that. Perhaps the credit card issuer won't approve the chargeback due to it being a vehicle as well.

Ineligible items and transactions under PayPal’s Purchase Protection program:

Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Purchase Protection:

• Real estate, including residential property.
  • Financial products or investments of any kind.
  • Businesses (when you buy or invest in a business).
  • Vehicles, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, aircraft and boats.
  • Significantly Not as Described claims for wholly or partly custom-made items.
  • Donations including payments on crowdfunding platforms.
  • Items prohibited by the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy.
  • For Item Not Received claims, items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including items bought in a seller’s store location.
  • Industrial machinery used in manufacturing.
  • Anything purchased from, or an amount paid to, a government agency.
  • Stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards.
  • Gambling, gaming and/or any other activity with an entry fee and a prize.
  • Payments sent using PayPal’s friends and family functionality. 
  • Payments sent using PayPal to any bill payment service.
  • Payments made using PayPal Payouts and Mass Pay or guest checkout transactions (i.e. not sent using your PayPal account).

Ineligible items and transactions:

Your sale is not eligible for coverage under PayPal’s Seller Protection program if:

• It involves intangible, non-physical, items, including digital goods, and services. Digital goods are delivered and used in an electronic format, like a song delivered online or through a mobile application.
  • The buyer claims (either with us or their card issuer) that the item you sent isn’t what was ordered (referred to as a “Significantly Not as Described” claim).
  • It involves an item that PayPal determines, in its sole discretion, is a counterfeit item.
  • It involves an item that you deliver in person, including in connection with a payment made in your physical store.
  • It involves sales that are not processed either through a buyer’s PayPal account or a PayPal guest checkout transaction. For example, if the sale was made using the PayPal Payments Pro/VT product, PayPal business payments or using PayPal Here, then it is not eligible for coverage. 
  • It involves items equivalent to cash including gift cards.
  • It involves a donation.
  • It relates to the purchase of a financial product or investment of any kind.
  • It involves a payment sent using PayPal’s friends and family functionality.
  • It involves a payment made using PayPal Payouts and Mass Pay.
  • The item is a vehicle, including, but not limited to a motor vehicle, motorcycle, recreational vehicle, aircraft or boat.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.