Unknowingly part of scams

Qc_Mx
Contributor
Contributor
I'm sure i have been scammed by a woman asking for my help to send her prepaid cards which i know can't be refunded. I assume my mistake of falling in the trap. But the thing is 3 other persons sent me money on my paypal so i can then buy prepaid cards to send her. I'm now afraid these persons might hold me for responsible for participating in a scam and then request a payback. But can i be accounted for responsible even if i wasn't aware it was a scam to start with, until i decided to contact them and ask them about what they were being told to send me money.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Qc_Mx 

Refund any money that you haven't spent on the prepaid cards. Those who sent you money can file disputes, bank reversals or chargebacks and you'll be on hook for them. Always use common sense when sending money. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Only send money for yourself and not for others. Don't participate on any schemes asking you to send money for some gift cards for some stranger. Anyone can buy their own gift cards.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Qc_Mx 

Refund any money that you haven't spent on the prepaid cards. Those who sent you money can file disputes, bank reversals or chargebacks and you'll be on hook for them. Always use common sense when sending money. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Only send money for yourself and not for others. Don't participate on any schemes asking you to send money for some gift cards for some stranger. Anyone can buy their own gift cards.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Qc_Mx
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks, that was what i thought would be, i have been stupid and blinded. I'm in contact with those who sent me the money, and will ask them to give me a little time to refund them as i don't have the money anymore.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.