Unauthorised transaction

joewhite23
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I received a message from Paypal this month saying that a buyer has opened a claim for an unauthorised transaction on a couple of items. They were only cheap items so I didn't get any proof of postage for them, but I don't even know if they were received by the buyer or not. I've asked them on Ebay to confirm whether they've received them or not and if they can return them to me and so far haven't had a reply as of today. I've never had this happen before and I'm just wondering how likely it might be that I could get the items back or avoid a refund. Should I be suspicious of the buyer at all, as you might think they'd get in touch to discuss returning the items, if they are legit?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@joewhite23 

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, unfortunately you didn't as you have no trackable proof of delivery so if the account holder wins the dispute then you will sadly have to refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

joewhite23
Contributor
Contributor

I get that, but if they were the innocent party and were hacked into, then you would expect them to get in touch regarding the games that they have now received, wouldn't you?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.