This feels like a scam

jakeedmonds42
New Community Member

I am selling a video light kit on Facebook.  I got an odd message from the buyer

"My name is Suzanne. I am okay with the condition Likewise your asking price is quite reasonable and affordable considering others I've seen lately,I'll have it for the listed price.I'm interested and consider it sold as am buying it for my Husband as a surprise GIFT to our new Apartment we are planing on moving into and which i don't want him to know about it until is picked up.Why are you selling it?And how soon are you willing to let this go? Are you the first owner. Thanks"

Now as this is a video light set used for filming, and its not a retro type thing that world look good in an apartment, this makes no sense.  My guess is they are going to try to spoof an email that says payment has gone through, people have tried this before.  They generally go quiet when I say I will be logging in and checking my Paypal account rather than relying on emails.

But is there any other type of scam I should worry about, something that actually makes the money appear in my Paypal account and then a few days after is removed.

All advice is gratefully appreciated.

Ben

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Joy

Hi @jakeedmonds42,

I understand your concern when selling items. If a buyer makes a payment but then opens a dispute on the transaction, the funds will be held until the dispute is closed. Please keep in mind, when an item is picked up in person, the payment is not eligible for Seller Protection. You can learn more about what is covered by Seller Protection by visiting the link here.

I hope this helps!

Joy
If you have found any post within the Community to be helpful, please leave a Kudos or Accept it as a Solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.