Suspicious: picture of gift card verification code requested?

Jade42
New Community Member

I am currently selling some iTune gift cards and the communication has all been done through text message.  I requested payment through PayPal and the buyer has submitted payment.  However, the email I have received from PayPal is requiring that I take a picture of the gift card verification code and submit by email in order to receive payment.

Is this PayPal's process or am I getting scammed?  I am very leery of handling transactions like this without it being face to face.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jade42 wrote:

I am currently selling some iTune gift cards and the communication has all been done through text message.  I requested payment through PayPal and the buyer has submitted payment.  However, the email I have received from PayPal is requiring that I take a picture of the gift card verification code and submit by email in order to receive payment.

Is this PayPal's process or am I getting scammed?  I am very leery of handling transactions like this without it being face to face.

Scam. PayPal never ask that. Check your account if there are any funds there. If no funds, then buyer lied and have not sent payment. Even if PayPal puts a hold on your payment, it would be in the pending balance of your PayPal balance. Keep in mind that digital goods, gift cards are not protected under PayPal Seller protection, so you are selling these gift cards at your own risk.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.