Sold item on eBay, buyer filed chargeback 2 months later through credit card

brandobot
Contributor
Contributor

I sold an item on eBay. 63 days later, he text messaged me to say the item was defective and didn't work. (It was a steering wheel for a car that was personally on my car and I'm 100% positive it worked). Buyer sent me a text message to say that he had multiple mechanics work on the wheel but couldn't get it to work, then claims in text message that perhaps it was damaged in shipping. I denied his return request because I felt 2 months was too long and that something could have happened with the inexperience mechanics working on it.

A few weeks after this, he sends me an ebay message that says "CLAIM FILED. YOU LOST."

A few more weeks later, I receive a paypal chargeback and money is deducted from my account. Paypal then tells me that the credit card company does require the buyer to return the item. I asked if Paypal requires them to return the item, and they also said no. Here I am, left without the item and the money. ($1,500) Has anyone been in this position and what can I do to at minimum, receive my item back?

Below is a snippet of what paypal repeatedly tells me when I ask for assistance. To me, this case is already lost. The credit card company has no incentive to help paypal sellers -- they'll likely side with the buyer. 

The chargeback dispute process may take up to 75 calendar days.

In a dispute over a chargeback, the final decision is ultimately made by the credit card company. PayPal cannot control the outcome.

If we win the dispute, your account will be re-credited the chargeback amount

We will email you when the credit card company completes their investigation

Thanks for your patience and cooperation with this investigation. We appreciate your business and regret that you’ve experienced a Chargeback.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

brandobot
Contributor
Contributor

still looking for advice and help on this

Login to Me Too

Visions138
Contributor
Contributor
What was the outcome ? Did you win ? Same this is happening to be but they said item not as described which is nonsense. Won my case with eBay and PayPal now they disputed via the card company.
Login to Me Too

brandobot
Contributor
Contributor
The case was closed via ebay as it past the 60 days. Paypal ended up siding with the buyer for god knows what reason. I’m not selling any high value items anymore on paypal/ebay as buyer’s have way too much protection. Ebay >> paypal >> and credit card. It’s total abuse
Login to Me Too

Visions138
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry to hear that.. I won both yet he is now telling his credit card to file PayPal says my case is strong but this is pure fraud has my item for months and lied .. I want to sue him I’m so **bleep** .. it’s a grip of money
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.