So a customer files a case...

michaelshawn
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I run a small online business selling handmade home decor. I offer retail purchase as well as wholesale purchase. A customer purchased wholesale items and I shipped her products within the timeframe described on my website. A week later, I receive an email from her asking when her items will arrive. I check her tracking and it shows her package has been sitting at an indianapolis center for 5 days. Great. Must be "lost". So I tell her that i will get a new package shipped out the following day.

I ship the package on the following day, Friday.

On Monday, I notice that my personal email is not logged in. not sure how long it has been logged out, so I'm curious as to how many emails I've missed. I look and I have 5 or so emails from PayPal saying that there was a case opened by the customer THE DAY AFTER HER ORIGINAL PACKAGE WAS SHIPPED, saying she had not received her package. All of the other emails were PayPal corresponding to ask me to reply to the case and the final email saying that they refunded her because I hadn't responded. 

So I call PayPal. They tell me they are creating an appeal for me and in the meantime, email the customer and request payment. So I do that. No response, 2 days later, even though she was very responsive while emailing back and forth about her package. She's trying to have her products and her money too. On Tuesday, i receive an email from PayPal saying they are not going to retrieve the money because i did not respond to the case. i had already told them i did not know the case was opened due to my email being logged out and that the case had been handled, regardless of whether or not I had responded to PayPal. I handled the case. The customer got her products. Now I need the money that she owes.

So I call today and speak to someone about the fact that they denied my appeal based on a technicality, which I feel is unfair; I was emailing the customer. I shipped another package to her. I had tracking info and proof of resolution. If i had known about the case, why would I not respond to it? but i did not know about it, so i did not respond. They told me today that they are sending a courtesy email to ask her to provide payment. 

So what happens if she dodges PayPal's courtesy email as well? What is the next step? Has anyone else ever dealt with this situation?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

michaelshawn
Contributor
Contributor

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.