Shpock fraud

Storr911
Contributor
Contributor
I tried to sell an item on Shpock and had 4 full offers. All with similar wording. I accepted one and was sent a confirmation that excess money was being held by PayPal until I transferred an amount to cover the delivery. It gave me a personal bank account and details that was not the same as the writer. Is this a regular use of PayPal to get money fraudulently?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Storr911 

Scam. PayPal does not ask you to pay extra to a bank account in order to receive your money. PayPal deduct their fee automatically when the payment arrives in your account if the person REALLY paid.

Scammers use all kinds of tactics to scam people and this is just one of them.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Storr911
Contributor
Contributor
There are at least 6 gmail accounts all using fake PayPal emails to get people to part with their money. I have had offers from all of them using the same method to get you to pay for couriers up front with an email from PayPal saying the money has been deposited and will be released to you. I have had one of these people on the hook all day by saying they need to put a deposit into my account first. They use the following methods, working offshore and can’t collect(2), in a wheelchair(2), throat cancer and can’t leave the house and working away and cannot get to the bank. All ask you to pay £260 or £261 to cover the courier and provide the PayPal email to say your full asking price of an item plus the £260 is being held in a secure account and will be released when the courier notifies them you have paid. It’s all bull and I have reported them but checking online some of these gmail addresses have been used for the past 2 months and still not been shut down or arrested
Login to Me Too

Andy1890
New Community Member

I have received a similar message from a buyer, who was willing to buy my product of £45 + £260 will be given as shipping fees as they are out of UK and are suffering from 3rd stage cancer and cannot go to the bank. I have received an email asking me to click on the link to get the payment released from PayPal. It was weird as anytime someone pays you , you can see the money directly into your paypal account or you receive text message. This is a fraud and we as sellers needs to be very cautious. I have raised the issue Shpock but seems to be no response. I might stop using their services as it is a risk for us to get engaged in such activities. We are well aware but there are people who aren't aware in detail. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.