Shipped to Wrong Adress

justjen2
Contributor
Contributor

I sold some textbooks on FB marketplace using Paypal.  I printed the address label with postage using the Paypal system.  The buyer contacted me and said the address was incorrect.  I canceled the postage transaction and asked the buyer to update her address.  When she said she had done so, I reprinted the label and sent the item off.  I did not double check the address against what the buyer sent me through FB.  (my mistake)  The item was delivered with confirmation to the buyer's old address.  She says the current residents marked it "return to sender" and placed it back in the mailbox.  From my end, all I can "see" through tracking is that the original package was delivered.  I've contacted USPS and am waiting for a response.  My question is how to proceed?  Should I refund her money?  I feel like I did make a mistake in not double checking the address, but I also feel like she should have ensured the correct address was on record with Paypal?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @justjen2,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum!

In general, in order to be covered by our Seller Protection policy, you will need to ship the item to the address showing in the details of the payment that you received. Even if the buyer sends you a different address on a separate conversation, the correct address will always be the one showing in the details of the transactions on your PayPal account. The buyer, in fact, always has to confirm the shipping address at checkout. If the address in the transaction details and the one on your label match, you have shipped the item correctly. If the buyer wants the item to be shipped to a different address, you can refund the original payment and request another payment. 

I hope this helps!

Martina 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @justjen2,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum!

In general, in order to be covered by our Seller Protection policy, you will need to ship the item to the address showing in the details of the payment that you received. Even if the buyer sends you a different address on a separate conversation, the correct address will always be the one showing in the details of the transactions on your PayPal account. The buyer, in fact, always has to confirm the shipping address at checkout. If the address in the transaction details and the one on your label match, you have shipped the item correctly. If the buyer wants the item to be shipped to a different address, you can refund the original payment and request another payment. 

I hope this helps!

Martina 

Login to Me Too

Otsogile
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently going through this, the only difference is buyer specifically sent me the address he wanted me to send his goods to on Whatsapp. After goods were sent to that address he went and claimed that he never received them of which based on the proof of delivery i got from the address i sent the goods its true but because he told me to send the goods to that address. Now Paypal have refunded him the money, not only did i lose money but i lost the goods thanks to paypal, I have tried to show them conversations between me and buyer but they overlooked all that. 

Login to Me Too

Bender1982m
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! Tell me if the seller indicated the wrong address and the goods were not delivered, but returned to the buyer. It is clear that there was no delivery confirmation. But the goods remain inappropriate and not suitable for me. How should I be in this situation? Thank.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.