Selling on marketplace paying through PayPal

Billr20
Contributor
Contributor
I’ve had two people want to buy something from me in Marketplace, they say ship to someone else’s address, but they will pay for shipping as well as for the products. They will pay me through PayPal. How do I know I am not going to lose out on this deal?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Billr20 

What’s “Marketplace”? Facebook Marketplace? Has the person already told you the shipping address they want shipped to?

In order to be covered under seller protection, you must ship to the address that’s included on the PayPal payment with tracking. But honestly, I wouldn’t bother with these kinds of orders. At least not these days. It’s the era of the scammer.

In fact, I do not see the point of specifically telling you to ship to another address when shipping addresses can be edited/added during PayPal checkout and passed onto the payment itself and you just ship to it. I suspect that this ‘buyer’ does not want the shipping address of ill gotten gains to be on the payment itself and known to the real account owner. 

Of course, this all could be innocent, but still, it’s suspicious behavior.

If you received the payment with the shipping address on the PayPal transaction details not being the address the person is asking you to ship to, you’d have to refund asking the ‘buyer’ to enter the right shipping address. And PayPal does not refund their paypal fee but here’s what you do:

Make a standard PayPal buy now button and when you get to Step 3: Customize Advanced Features section, put paymentaction=authorization into the “Add Advanced Variables” box. Then export the button as an email link for the ‘buyer’ to pay with.

What this does is the system initializes an authorization instead of an instant payment so you would be able to check if the shipping address is the same address the person is asking you to ship to before capturing payment. You can log onto your account to capture or void the authorization if the address is not a match without penalty. 

Of course the ‘buyer’ can just send you the payment through the send money tab of their PayPal account even though you send the button link if they are crafty enough. In that case there would be a penalty in refunding.

It’s up to you from here on out. You can create the button link as prescribed and tell them to pay with this PayPal link and add the ‘ship to’ address they want during checkout and declare that you ship to the address that is on the payment only.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Billr20 

What’s “Marketplace”? Facebook Marketplace? Has the person already told you the shipping address they want shipped to?

In order to be covered under seller protection, you must ship to the address that’s included on the PayPal payment with tracking. But honestly, I wouldn’t bother with these kinds of orders. At least not these days. It’s the era of the scammer.

In fact, I do not see the point of specifically telling you to ship to another address when shipping addresses can be edited/added during PayPal checkout and passed onto the payment itself and you just ship to it. I suspect that this ‘buyer’ does not want the shipping address of ill gotten gains to be on the payment itself and known to the real account owner. 

Of course, this all could be innocent, but still, it’s suspicious behavior.

If you received the payment with the shipping address on the PayPal transaction details not being the address the person is asking you to ship to, you’d have to refund asking the ‘buyer’ to enter the right shipping address. And PayPal does not refund their paypal fee but here’s what you do:

Make a standard PayPal buy now button and when you get to Step 3: Customize Advanced Features section, put paymentaction=authorization into the “Add Advanced Variables” box. Then export the button as an email link for the ‘buyer’ to pay with.

What this does is the system initializes an authorization instead of an instant payment so you would be able to check if the shipping address is the same address the person is asking you to ship to before capturing payment. You can log onto your account to capture or void the authorization if the address is not a match without penalty. 

Of course the ‘buyer’ can just send you the payment through the send money tab of their PayPal account even though you send the button link if they are crafty enough. In that case there would be a penalty in refunding.

It’s up to you from here on out. You can create the button link as prescribed and tell them to pay with this PayPal link and add the ‘ship to’ address they want during checkout and declare that you ship to the address that is on the payment only.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Billr20
Contributor
Contributor
Facebook Marketplace is where the buyer is from. This is twice, two different buyers have asked me to ship to different address than where they were. I’m going to assume they are scammers. That was my gut instinct. Thanks for your assistance and getting back to me so quickly.
Login to Me Too

Sujitdas1970
Contributor
Contributor
Payment hold
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.