Selling Ipads - payment via Paypal

therese88
Contributor
Contributor

Hey there,

I am selling my ipad on Gumtree and the buyer is interstate so can't view the ipad beforehand.

It's in great working condition and nothing is wrong with it, however I am worried that if something were to go wrong with it due to their negligence etc, they can seek a refund for the ipad through Paypal.

Does anyone know how to safely go about this? Or is there a way to get a certificate saying it's in good working condition.

Thanks so much guys

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@therese88 

Any payments you received as a seller can be reversed in one way or another. Sellers are not covered from Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) claims. Only Unauthorized (UA) or Item Not Received (INR).

Unless your buyer expresses a buyer's remorse type issue in the dispute, you're not covered. Here's what's typically considered SNAD or not:

Significantly Not as Described claims

An item may be considered Significantly Not as Described if:

• The item is materially different from the seller’s description of it.
  • You received a completely different item.
  • The condition of the item was misrepresented. For example, the item was described as “new” but the item was used.
  • The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic (i.e. counterfeit).
  • The item is missing major parts or features and those facts were not disclosed in the description of the item when you bought it.
  • You purchased a certain number of items but didn’t receive them all.
  • The item was damaged during shipment.
  • The item is unusable in its received state and was not disclosed as such.

An item may not be considered Significantly Not as Described if:

• The defect in the item was correctly described by the seller in its description of the item.
  • The item was properly described but you didn't want it after you received it.
  • The item was properly described but did not meet your expectations.
  • The item has minor scratches and was described as “used."

PayPal won't get involved with warranties if it turns out the item doesn't work or faulty after x amount of time (buyer's have 180 days to dispute remember) therefore the buyer would have to work things out with you and it is in your best interest to work things out with the buyer by accepting a return if PayPal does not rule in favor of the buyer, or the buyer could file a credit card chargeback if they paid with credit card, who don't usually require buyer to return the item so you could lose out on the money and the iPad. So all this no return/no refund, don't want to take responsibility is not the right approach. Be nice and friendly in your dealings so as you do not antagonize the buyer or they will sabotage the item.

Also, look out for scammers trying to trick you into shipping the item out without paying so always check your PayPal account for payment first. Scammers will send fake/spoof PayPal payment confirmations telling you to do this, that and the other or the payment is on hold blah blah blah, NO! Even if a payment is on hold, you will still see a record of payment. Name brand items are a magnet for scams so be careful.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@therese88 

Any payments you received as a seller can be reversed in one way or another. Sellers are not covered from Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) claims. Only Unauthorized (UA) or Item Not Received (INR).

Unless your buyer expresses a buyer's remorse type issue in the dispute, you're not covered. Here's what's typically considered SNAD or not:

Significantly Not as Described claims

An item may be considered Significantly Not as Described if:

• The item is materially different from the seller’s description of it.
  • You received a completely different item.
  • The condition of the item was misrepresented. For example, the item was described as “new” but the item was used.
  • The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic (i.e. counterfeit).
  • The item is missing major parts or features and those facts were not disclosed in the description of the item when you bought it.
  • You purchased a certain number of items but didn’t receive them all.
  • The item was damaged during shipment.
  • The item is unusable in its received state and was not disclosed as such.

An item may not be considered Significantly Not as Described if:

• The defect in the item was correctly described by the seller in its description of the item.
  • The item was properly described but you didn't want it after you received it.
  • The item was properly described but did not meet your expectations.
  • The item has minor scratches and was described as “used."

PayPal won't get involved with warranties if it turns out the item doesn't work or faulty after x amount of time (buyer's have 180 days to dispute remember) therefore the buyer would have to work things out with you and it is in your best interest to work things out with the buyer by accepting a return if PayPal does not rule in favor of the buyer, or the buyer could file a credit card chargeback if they paid with credit card, who don't usually require buyer to return the item so you could lose out on the money and the iPad. So all this no return/no refund, don't want to take responsibility is not the right approach. Be nice and friendly in your dealings so as you do not antagonize the buyer or they will sabotage the item.

Also, look out for scammers trying to trick you into shipping the item out without paying so always check your PayPal account for payment first. Scammers will send fake/spoof PayPal payment confirmations telling you to do this, that and the other or the payment is on hold blah blah blah, NO! Even if a payment is on hold, you will still see a record of payment. Name brand items are a magnet for scams so be careful.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

therese88
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. Personally I find this very risky as a seller as there's more rights as a buyer and there's nothing to stop the buyer from making false claims about the item. They have 6 months protection in which time can cause damage to the product.  Then you as the seller are out of pocket, plus have an item returned in worse condition which will then further depreciate the value of the item.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.