Seller protection - confused about "not covered" terms

lexcamille
Contributor
Contributor

seller-protection.png

Hello, I recently got an order from a customer in the UK. It is a larger order than usual, and the person paid via e-check (on an invoice.) I waited for the e-check to clear, and it eventually cleared. I want to make sure ALL my basis are covered regarding PayPal's seller protection prior to shipping. The buyer also contacted me and asked if she could order MORE things, to add to the first order and ship together. I have not yet invoiced her for the add-on's.

So I went to this page to read the exclusions:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection

And I went down to "What isn’t covered by Seller Protection?" and found two things concerning. I highlighted them in red in the inserted photo. I actually called the PayPal customer service number earlier today for clarification, and the agent had no clue what I was referring to. She directed me to a DIFFERENT page (Legal -> PayPal Account User Agreement -> Selling & Accepting Payments -> Seller Protection) which is fine, but I am troubled by the conflicting information on the aforementioned page. I do not want there to be ANY bases uncovered so I wanted to double check here.

"What isn’t covered by Seller Protection?"
Concern #1: Instances where you receive multiple payments for an item.

So in my instance of sending a first invoice - receiving payment, and that payment clearing.... but then the customer asked for me to send a second invoice of additional items to add to her order. Does this mean that I need to ship the FIRST invoice worth of items separately, in its own package with its own tracking number (in order to be protected by seller protection?) And then I can send a 2nd invoice, and ship for those separately?

Concern #2: First Class Mail International, since the receipt only shows the address the order was delivered to – not the customer's address.

I don't even understand what the explanation for this means - the receipt only shows the address the order was delivered to, not the customers address? My understanding is that seller protection is ONLY valid if you ship to the address provided by the customer at checkout/payment. If that is consistent with the address on the receipt, why would that be a problem? Anyway, if First Class Mail International is not allowed, what international shipment methods are recommended/preferred/and covered by seller protection?

Thanks so mucuh!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lexcamille 

1) USPS has two kinds of First Class Intl services:

USPS First-Class Mail International (for letters and documents/flats)

USPS First-Class Package International Service* (use this one if shipping items)

*USPS provides e-del confirmation services

2) I believe they mean receiving multiple payments towards one transaction as installments. Let's say amount for the order was $500 and they made 2x$250 payments towards this one transaction. There is a proper way to do this in general, should you ever encounter such a situation (ie. accepting deposit for goods and services), without negating your seller protection by sending a PayPal invoice with the "Allow partial payments" option enabled.

With your situation, you can ship everything in one shipment, making sure to reference both order numbers/transaction IDs in the "email to buyer" field on the PayPal shipping label form. Then when you have the tracking number from this shipment, enter it into the other payment and reference the order numbers/transaction ID numbers like in the first shipment. Make sure the shipping address for both payments are the same though before buying postage. If the shipping address on the second payment is different, of course, you have no choice but to ship to that address separately with its own tracking number.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lexcamille 

1) USPS has two kinds of First Class Intl services:

USPS First-Class Mail International (for letters and documents/flats)

USPS First-Class Package International Service* (use this one if shipping items)

*USPS provides e-del confirmation services

2) I believe they mean receiving multiple payments towards one transaction as installments. Let's say amount for the order was $500 and they made 2x$250 payments towards this one transaction. There is a proper way to do this in general, should you ever encounter such a situation (ie. accepting deposit for goods and services), without negating your seller protection by sending a PayPal invoice with the "Allow partial payments" option enabled.

With your situation, you can ship everything in one shipment, making sure to reference both order numbers/transaction IDs in the "email to buyer" field on the PayPal shipping label form. Then when you have the tracking number from this shipment, enter it into the other payment and reference the order numbers/transaction ID numbers like in the first shipment. Make sure the shipping address for both payments are the same though before buying postage. If the shipping address on the second payment is different, of course, you have no choice but to ship to that address separately with its own tracking number.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.