Scammer on gumtree Kate <removed>

momac1989
New Community Member

So I posted up a pram for sale on gumtree. I had Kate <removed> email me asking if it was still available. She then told me she was willing to pay the full price and was buying it for her cousin but couldn't collect it in person due to hearing loss and being in a wheelchair so would need to get a courier to collect it from my preferred location and would pay me via PayPal. I sent her my home address and PayPal email thinkin she was a genuine buying. Then I received an email from who I thought was PayPal telling me she had paid £400 into my account but it was pending until I paid £300 of my own money to the courier before funds would be released to me. Alarm bells went off. Shouldnt cost £300 for a courier to pick up a pram. She mailed me telling me she was having issues with her banking and asking that I send the courier the payment via bank transfer for her. But reading the fake PayPal email it was asking me to pay my own money before her money would be released to me. Never heard of that happening and I didn't trust it. I asked her to cancel her payment and told her I didn't have that much money so she demanded I got it off friends or family. I told her I've no family and just recently lost my mum. She then told me I better follow instructions or she's going to report me to police and reporting my PayPal email address. I luckily realised in time that it was a scam but others might not be so lucky. Her email address was <removed>. I searched the email address on Google and seems like she's been doing this for a couple of years. Mainly targeting gumtree users and seems to like going for women selling prams.

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@momac1989

This scam has been ongoing for about 20 years and is all over the internet and this forum. Glad you were not caught out.

They use fake names / hijacked or disposable email addresses and normally work from an internet cafe somewhere in Africa.

They don't want your pram or any other item, they just want those western union funds.

Just remember.........

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle or item that is collected by the buyer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SkamBuster
New Community Member

This person lies and says they are disabled .. talk about low ! And then tried to get you to send the goods without paying first. Then when not falling for his/her stunt, they threaten with police action. Name: MR L <removed> <removed>

Login to Me Too

Princeadam
New Community Member

Kate <removed> has popped up again on Gumtree, same story claiming to be disabled etc and buying pram for cousin

This time initial contact made by text, I didn't notice at first but the text came through as "Kate" rather than unknown number as it should

Follow up contact was by email to which I responded that cash was preferred option and I could arrange delivery if they provided address

Response highlighted how easy it was to setup and use Paypal, most likely an attempt to lure me into same trap as momac1989

Fortunately I'd already googled the name and received hundreds of hits regarding this fraudulent account

Beware

Login to Me Too

Dave007James
Contributor
Contributor

Same here.

I was selling 3 x pieces of Hi Fi, Kate <removed> said "great it's still available, so consider it sold, please take down the add".

I had 3 adds not one, she didn't ask about more detail or enough questions generally, wanted me to send via courier etc. I've been scammed before by people pretending to be disabled, taking advantage of your good nature and upsetting genuinely disabled people.

This person needs setting up for capture!

Login to Me Too

jolly11
Contributor
Contributor

Wow thank goodness I checked out the name.

She just tried the same tack with a very expensive vehicle. 

Please beware everyone. 

Login to Me Too

marcusbennett
Contributor
Contributor

I came here which during a Shpock transaction things did not seem right.  I've not had the fake PayPal email yet, but I expect kate is about to send me one.   There are similarities to your case.

I can only just say that Prams seem to be a lot more expensive that I ever knew about   (My sale is not for a pram but a watch)  

regards mb

Login to Me Too

Natasha51
New Community Member
This user is now using the name lim sim I'm petrified because I gave out my address before I realised what do I do
Login to Me Too

Parsoc
Contributor
Contributor
Just happened to me too. Thankfully I found this post. She's going by the name Lim sim
Login to Me Too

ellenkia
Contributor
Contributor
This exact same thing happened to my mum when she was selling her car. Thankfully we checked before any money was sent.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.