Scammed by Buyer, can i get my items or money back?

tomlee08
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, I have experienced a fraud by a buyer on eBay.  I have two items that are active on eBay, and the buyer emailed me and said his eBay buying limit is max out, and asked to switch to deal on PayPal. He gave me his text and home address(which I think it's fake now, because I called him, all voice mails) He said he wants the items in the next morning, so I chose the UPS next day air, it costed me $500 total,only for shipping.  And the total value of the two items are over USD$4000. Then I received an email says my money is in pending, and it will appear to your account once the buyer receives it. And I called PayPal customer service, to make sure the money is really exist before I ship out the items, and the money really exists. The next morning, UPS said the items have been delivered to the buyer's house, and I still don't get my money, but the money is still showing pending in my PayPal summary, so I contacted PayPal, found out this is a scam.

So, the question is, if PayPal settles this, am I able to get the items or money back? Thanks all!

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tomlee08 

WAIT A COTTON PICKIN' MINUTE...HOLD UP. 😮

Didn't you  call customer service to see if the money really exist? And was told the payment really exist and they said yes, as per:

"And I called PayPal customer service, to make sure the money is really exist before I ship out the items, and the money really exists."

And WTH, now you contacted PayPal and found out its a scam? After you done shipped????? WHUUUUUUUUT???? I am CON-FUSED. lol I am totally missing something. 

All that aside, just from the fact the buyer wanting the items like yesterday, is in and of itself a red flag. $4 grand...are you out of your mind. + 5 hundo on shipping costs. S crew that. lol

You actually see this money, a record of payment in your PayPal account ON HOLD, in your Pending balance? Or are you just believing fake/spoof emails? Or just because PayPal hasn't released the funds yet, you think its a scam? PayPal takes around 24/48 hours to release funds from time they can confirm delivery.

But if you say you saw the funds, a record of payment in your PayPal Summary, then how is it a scam? Explain that to me.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

tomlee08
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that confused me too. I sent all the emails that I received yesterday from PayPal to spoof@paypal.com, and they told me the emails were "phishing attempt". I have no idea what is going on now. I called the buyer like more than 10 times, no one answered, I believe he shut the phone off or the sim card is fake. I am so lost right now. Somebody please help me....

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tomlee08 

OH my lord. So who or how did you call PayPal customer service that told you the money existed at PayPal account? Did you google the customer service number and some fake customer service rep told you? I don't understand.

Oh my gosh. If there is no payment transaction in your PayPal account to reflect this money, then there is nothing PayPal can do.

If you see a record of payment in your PayPal account for this large amount and its on hold then then payment exists. I am trying to find this out from you. Do you see a record of payment in your PayPal account for $4k+?

This is a law enforcement matter to get your items back, not PayPal since no money actual exchanged hands.

1. File a police report with your local PD for theft or fraud.
    1. If PD doesn't want to bother, INSIST and proclaim it is theft (or fraud), which both are punishable offenses.
    2. INSIST that your local LE forward a copy of the police report to the local PD in the buyer's location.
  2. File a theft or fraud report with courier (UPS, FedEx, or USPS Postal Inspector)
    1. Get in writing official documentation of the courier's findings
  3. File a fraud report with ic3.gov.

Login to Me Too

tomlee08
Contributor
Contributor

I searched "contact us PayPal" on google yesterday, and that's what I called, I believe that is real number that I was calling.

OK so, the buyer asked me to send a request invoice to him, and the account summary now shows that the request is still pending, is that what you were asking?  

PayPal replied me that they are working on it right now, should I wait for them or go to the PD directly?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tomlee08 wrote:

I searched "contact us PayPal" on google yesterday, and that's what I called, I believe that is real number that I was calling.

OK so, the buyer asked me to send a request invoice to him, and the account summary now shows that the request is still pending, is that what you were asking?  

Ahhhh, the 'o' invoice scam. Paid invoices are marked paid and you receive a record of the payment itself. Pending means it has not been paid, so no money switch hands.

Please do not google search customer service numbers of all things, they can be fake. Always go to the Help page at PayPal site and scroll around to look for the contact US link.

Like I said in my previous post it is a law enforcement matter now for that kind of value.

Login to Me Too

tomlee08
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal replied me that they are working on it, should I wait for them or I directly find a PD?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_April

Hello @tomlee08

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you. In these situations, you would need to work with the Police Department to pursue recovery. PayPal wouldn't be able to enforce payment. 

-April 

Login to Me Too

tomlee08
Contributor
Contributor

Got it, thanks

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tomlee08 wrote:

PayPal replied me that they are working on it, should I wait for them or I directly find a PD?

I can't see what PayPal can do except for finding out who sent that invoice to assist with the law enforcement case so get with the PD to file a report so they can find this scammer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.