Scammed By Buyer and Paypal

aricht49
Contributor
Contributor

I sold 4 XBOX game codes that came brand new in the box with my new system. Not into Minecraft games so I sold them on Ebay. I emailed the guy the codes, he used them and then 10 days later opened a case claiming it was an "Unauthorized Purchase". Paypal accommodated this scammer by giving him his $20 back and on top of that Paypal charged me a $20 charge back fee! It is sad when you sell something in good faith and expect to get paid but to be scammed by not only the buyer but by Paypal as well. Paypal even reports that scammers are using debit cards to scam people for stuff they buy. Yet, knowing what is going on Paypal just allows them to get away with it. I spoke to a rep a week ago and she assured that just by the information I gave her over the phone that the case would be ruled in my favor for me not to worry. Well, not only did I lose $20 worth of game codes, Paypal **bleep** me another $20 for something that was not my fault! I guess scammers get the upper hand. Paypal claims that "if" I do get the $20 for the codes that I will have to wait 75 days BUT, that I will still have to pay the $20 charge back fee. I've have lost trust in Paypal and Ebay and will never sell anything on Ebay again. Please don't bother replying if you're a Paypal troll.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

derek29
Contributor
Contributor

Very sorry to hear what happened to you unfortunately PayPal etc know this goes on, the call center reps just act courteous and caring to lull you into a false sense of security to buy time to legally **bleep** you over.

Its hard to do but draw a line under it and try to forget it as it was only $40.00 ( i understand my friend its your $40.00 and that stinks) - at least it was not $340.35 + $52.36 eBay fees for the privilege of being **bleep** over in my case and the buyer keeps the goods.

They even insult victims by asking them to rate their experience phoning PayPal ........ what a joke!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aricht49 

There is nothing PayPal can do about it. The buyer filed dispute with their credit card issuer who in turn holds PayPal accountable who in turn hold you liable, and the card issuer bank makes the ruling to refund the cardholder or not, not PayPal. Since your transaction is for digital goods, such transactions are not covered by seller protection. PayPal charges $20 for handling these credit card chargebacks. Always check if seller protection covers your type of transaction before using PayPal as payment method.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

aricht49
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You but no I don't agree. Paypal knows that he kept a product free of charge and then to add insult to injury the charge me $20 when I did nothing wrong. That's theft, plain and simple and Paypal aided in that. I find it so infuriating that I listed an item to sell on Ebay and ended up getting ripped off $40. So much for Ebay and Paypal.

Login to Me Too
Solved

derek29
Contributor
Contributor

Very sorry to hear what happened to you unfortunately PayPal etc know this goes on, the call center reps just act courteous and caring to lull you into a false sense of security to buy time to legally **bleep** you over.

Its hard to do but draw a line under it and try to forget it as it was only $40.00 ( i understand my friend its your $40.00 and that stinks) - at least it was not $340.35 + $52.36 eBay fees for the privilege of being **bleep** over in my case and the buyer keeps the goods.

They even insult victims by asking them to rate their experience phoning PayPal ........ what a joke!

Login to Me Too

aricht49
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You Derek29, I really appreciate that. Who knows *maybe* like they said, in 75 days I will get my $20 back. Paypal/Ebay is just another CORRUPT entity. They don't give a crap about **bleep** people over for money and taking sides with the buyer. So in my book they are just as much as thieves as the buyers. I cringed at the thought of you being robbed $400. Thanks to you I have finally calmed down and will take your advice and just let it go. I know now what not to do.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.