Scam?

Momlr
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email from PayPal thanking me for using them for me Bitcoin purchase - which I had not done. There was a number to call to dispute the transaction, but must me done in 24 hours. I called, they asked to verify my account, which I did. They then told me I had multiple Bitcoin purchases and a $6000 loan. To cancel these things, I had to go to Walgreens and pick up a $$ card for $300 in fees that would be reimbursed by PayPal. At this point I said I would have to call PayPal back later. I checked my account, looks okay, and changed my password. Anything else I should know/do??

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@buckley20 

@Momlr 

Its a SCAM.

It would not be paypal customer services that you called it would be a FAKE number pretending to be paypal customer services.
The number shows up when you use 'google' to find paypals number OR a spoof / fake paypal email.

The only way to get the REAL paypal customer services number is via help / contact bottom left of paypal pages and scrolling down past the FAQ to the 'call us' option to phone them.
If you think about it why would paypal ask you to buy stuff to answer questions?

Always log into your account normally and not via any link in an email and if there is nothing in the message or resolution centre and your account looks ok then its a spoof. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

buckley20
New Community Member

Make it 2 people had this problem. Twice in 1 day for us.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@buckley20 

@Momlr 

Its a SCAM.

It would not be paypal customer services that you called it would be a FAKE number pretending to be paypal customer services.
The number shows up when you use 'google' to find paypals number OR a spoof / fake paypal email.

The only way to get the REAL paypal customer services number is via help / contact bottom left of paypal pages and scrolling down past the FAQ to the 'call us' option to phone them.
If you think about it why would paypal ask you to buy stuff to answer questions?

Always log into your account normally and not via any link in an email and if there is nothing in the message or resolution centre and your account looks ok then its a spoof. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.