Risk as a seller...?

Quaddro
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm selling a 2000€ bike frame from Finland and the buyer is from Portugal. He volunteered to arrange the pick up by himself. He says he works for a courier company.

He is paying with Paypal Goods. Is there any change that he will claim his money back and I will loose my frame?

Thanks,

Ismo

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Quaddro 

Yes, there is always a chance because buyers have 180 days from date of payment to file dispute for either Item Not Received (INR) (so its best to use a shipping service that has proof of delivery/tracking number and not let the buyer dictate the courier service used), Significantly Not As Described (SNAD), or Unauthorized Payment.

Please read the seller protection terms to see how you are or not covered:

11. Seller Protection Programme.

The buyer protection terms for the buyer in Portugal also apply to you as a seller:

13. PayPal Buyer Protection

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Quaddro
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

If I get tracking information from the buyers company(DPD) is it not the same as I'd post the item by myself?

But if the package get lost in the transportation..then what? Buyer gets the reimbursement?

-Ismo

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Quaddro 

It is best if you actually arranged for DPD to ship, yourself, at their website or on their business premises instead of as a go-between through the buyer themselves. That way YOU can give the tracking information, if any, to the buyer, not the other way around, as well as to see if the courier is reputable and their tracking info meets proof of delivery requirements of PayPal seller protection. You need to have oversight over the shipping arrangements. 

PayPal puts it best in the US version of the seller protection program terms:

"You must ship the item to the shipping address on the transaction details page in your PayPal account for the transaction. If you originally ship the item to the recipient's shipping address on the transaction details page but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of shipping and delivery."

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Quaddro 

Protection from Item Not ReceivedUnauthorized Payment claims by proof of delivery is one of the most solid, ironclad protections PayPal gives sellers, do not give that power away to the buyer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.