Ripped off seller

RippedOffBobby
Contributor
Contributor

I auctioned two folding bicycles on eBay back in June 2020. The buyer paid by PayPal and collected the bikes. Then in September 2020, three months later, PayPal took the money back under an “unauthorised transaction” reason. So I have lost the bikes and the cash. I have no faith at all in PayPal Resolution procedure.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RippedOffBobby 

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

This also happens if the buyer does not recognise a transaction on their credit card statement so I would reach out to your buyer to check it was not a mistake. 

However if it wasn't then normally you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, but unfortunately seller protection does not cover any item personally delivered or collected.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RippedOffBobby
Contributor
Contributor

I can’t understand why “collected” goods are excluded.

why after three months can “unauthorised” payment still be used.

I gave the buyer good feedback, I should be able to change it.

PayPal just close the case and will not discuss it.

The seller is made to look the guilty party.

PayPal even charge for the privilege of taking my money.

For items collected I would only accept cash now after this costly experience.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RippedOffBobby 

If you read up on seller protection you will see why its not covered.

To win a dispute you have to have trackable proof of delivery of the item to the buyer, you can't if the item is collected.

Buyers can open disputes up to 6 months, the same as most credit card issuers offer you.

No idea about feedback as that is Ebay not Paypal.

If you were 'charged' the it wasn't an unauthorised charge done via paypal but directly via the buyers credit card issuer and they make the decisions, all paypal can do is pass on any information you supply on your behalf. The c.c. issuer then charges you their processing fee of (normally) about £15.

And yes for items collected I always say cash only, that way you have no fee / no hold and certainly no disputes. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.