Resolution centre charge back

Stonar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. Sold a used item on eBay in April which the buyer collected. 3 days later he claimed it was damaged and filed a claim through eBay, which he lost after the 10 day it takes to process. He then made a claim through PayPal which went through a lengthy process, PayPal advised him to return it but he decided not to so PayPal eventually closed the case on 24th May. Thought was finally sorted and glad to have my £500 ‘released’. But today have received an email from PayPal reopening the case due to a request from his financial institution, and have frozen the money again. How can PayPal do this after having closed the claim?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Stonar 

Paypal didn't.

If the buyer went to their financial institution then it wasn't a paypal dispute but a chargeback.

The financial institution / card issuer would make any decisions and all paypal can do is pass on any information on your behalf.

'If' they find in favour of their client then you would also have to pay the c.c. companies processing fee as well unfortunately and also he wouldn't have to return the item.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Stonar
Contributor
Contributor
It’s definitely come through PayPal. From the email. “The sender of the payment outlined below has requested their financial institution to reverse (part, or all of) this payment. “
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Stonar 

I didn't say the email didn't come from paypal.

I said that it was not a paypal dispute !!!!!!!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Stonar
Contributor
Contributor

I still don’t understand how it can be resurrected again after PayPal have closed it. Even if the financial institution applied to PayPal then surely they would reply with a ‘dealt with, case closed, no further action’

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Stonar 

Paypal can't tell a credit card company what to do.

If the card company applies for a chargeback on behalf of their client then paypal has to comply, they have no say in the matter.

Whilst you can only open x1 paypal dispute per transaction it does not stop you applying to your card issuer if that paypal dispute fails.

Thats why i always fund my paypal purchases with a credit card, so that i have that second layer of protection.

This bit is from Paypals UK user agreement.

Pursue your card chargeback rights: You may pursue your chargeback rights with your card company or card issuer (if they apply), but if you do so at the same time as pursuing the resolution of your problem (whether through a Claim or Dispute) under PayPal Buyer Protection or if you seek a double recovery, PayPal may close your Dispute or Claim and/or hold you liable for the amount you have been reimbursed under PayPal Buyer Protection, and you will have to rely solely on your chargeback rights.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.