Refund reversed

pdigau
New Community Member

Hi all,

I had a buyer change their mind on a service they paid for so opened a dispute - I resolved the dispute by issuing them a refund which was all fine.

However, PayPal then attempted to debit the proceeds of the refund from a bank account that I linked to PayPal only for the purposes of withdrawing paid funds - I don't use this for payments (as it doesn't support direct debit) which means my bank declined the withdrawal.

So PayPal then emailled me to advise that the refund was reversed which means the buyer still hasn't received their money back 😞

However, when I go to the dispute to try to refund the money to them again, it appears that the dispute still appears as resolved, as if the refund was successfully processed.

I wanted to understand what PayPal will do next to facilitate getting this money to the buyer and if they are going to reattempt to fund the transaction using the same bank account, it will fail again - so I need to somehow pay it to the buyer using a debit card instead. 

I did consider just making a payment to the buyer separately but wasn't sure if PayPal would then continue trying to issue the refund and eventually I'd end up refunding the amount twice.

Thanks

Aaron

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pdigau 

Sounds as if paypal refunded the buyer under their buyer protection scheme BUT they would then come after you for the funds.

Have they put your paypal account into negative at all? If so then you would need to clear that.

Paypal may well try that bank account again and if it declines they may try your back up card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pdigau 

Sounds as if paypal refunded the buyer under their buyer protection scheme BUT they would then come after you for the funds.

Have they put your paypal account into negative at all? If so then you would need to clear that.

Paypal may well try that bank account again and if it declines they may try your back up card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.