Refund Issued without my input

Kris0812
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal recently issued a refund to a customer who purchased an item on Ebay.  I have a no returns policy so when I requested the return he went around Ebay and must have requested a refund from Paypal.  Paypal issued the refund without contacting me or asking about the transaction.  How can this happen?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kris0812 

Sadly your no returns policy only covers buyer remorse and does not cover items that the buyer says they received but were not as described.

So if that was what the buyer cited then paypals terms (which you agreed to when you opened your paypal account) outweigh your auction terms.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Kris0812
Contributor
Contributor

Well eBay considered this a remorse purchase and closed the return request.  Since PayPal did not contact me for further information and just refunded the buyer, I had no way of being a part of this process and communicating the reason the buyer wanted to return.  I cannot seem to contact PayPal regarding this transaction which is completely unfair.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kris0812 

Ebay and paypal are 2 separate companies with 2 completely separate and different dispute processes.

So if the buyer lost an Ebay dispute they can go and open one on Paypal if they funded their Ebay purchase that way.

So you should have seen that the buyer opened a Paypal dispute? 

If so then if you respond to that dispute paypal will tell the buyer to return the item first BUT if you don't respond to the paypal dispute then the buyer is refunded without having to return the item first and its up to you to take your own private legal action if that is an option to get the item back again or offer the buyer the postage costs to return it. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Kris0812
Contributor
Contributor

I did not receive a dispute notification from PayPal and that is why I am not happy.  If I had then I would have responded.  This is done and over but I want to understand the process because I currently feel like I never had a say.  The customer gave a remorse reason when he requested the return to eBay so perhaps he was not truthful when requesting a refund through Paypal but I will never know . . .  My only remaining question is there any way I can go back and research this so I can learn and move on?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kris0812 

Sounds very odd that you did not get a paypal notification for a dispute.

However if you want to read up on it then why not go to legal > user agreement (select your country) > seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.