Possibly getting scammed on PayPal with buyer protection as a seller?

Jacobdoug147
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys,

I recently sold something to someone using PayPal goods and services. I sent the package and put in a tracking number, and my money is on hold until he receives the package. However I believe that he blocked me, therefore leading me to assume he is scamming me. Would it be possible for him to successfully scam me and keep the product and I don't get any money in return? I know there is seller protection but I don't know how far it will assist me in this problem. Can someone please tell me of the different things I could do to prevent being scammed?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jacobdoug147 

Not if the buyer does not report a problem (open a dispute) with the transaction in the meantime and PayPal is able to confirm delivery with the courier to release your funds earlier. If for some reason delivery can't be confirmed because the courier hasn't updated the tracking to "delivered", you should get your funds in 21 days.

Even if the buyer files a dispute, you should be able to fight it if you have tracking number showing delivery if Item Not Receive is claimed or accept a return for a refund with a Not as Described claim unless PayPal determines the buyer's story is more like a buyer's remorse situation. If the buyer sends back a brick or an empty envelope or to an address nearby, you can call PayPal to report abuse of the buyer protection program. Have your ducks in a row to prove your case: file police report, USPS Postmaster mail fraud report, file with ic3.gov. Perhaps with this information, PayPal may issue a courtesy refund.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jacobdoug147 

Not if the buyer does not report a problem (open a dispute) with the transaction in the meantime and PayPal is able to confirm delivery with the courier to release your funds earlier. If for some reason delivery can't be confirmed because the courier hasn't updated the tracking to "delivered", you should get your funds in 21 days.

Even if the buyer files a dispute, you should be able to fight it if you have tracking number showing delivery if Item Not Receive is claimed or accept a return for a refund with a Not as Described claim unless PayPal determines the buyer's story is more like a buyer's remorse situation. If the buyer sends back a brick or an empty envelope or to an address nearby, you can call PayPal to report abuse of the buyer protection program. Have your ducks in a row to prove your case: file police report, USPS Postmaster mail fraud report, file with ic3.gov. Perhaps with this information, PayPal may issue a courtesy refund.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

drmallory1
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to sell a pair of designer shoes on FB Marketplace. I am suspicious of the buyer as they only have a messenger account and not a FB profile. they claim to be sending me the money in the morning via Paypal. How do I protect myself? I'm worried they will claim my product is fake (I have proof of authenticity) and try and get the money back by filing a dispute. I've always been the buyer via PayPal. What protection do I have?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.