Possible fraud

James1313
New Community Member

Hi looking for advice & or help please I sold an item yesterday 15/8/ to a seller from my gumtree app, I was dealing with the buyer on my chat through gumtree.. I was asked if I had a PayPal account to which I said yes, I didn't see harm in sending him it but after I said my email he went silent on gumtree and I got an email about receiving payment and address instructions so I have started clicking links via my email not knowing its not safe and I've sent away the item today, is the 100% a scam or can buyers be honest via email? I got a email at 5:30 pm advising it can take 3 hours but my balance is still 0p and there's no pending amount ect in my PayPal account.. Advice on what to do now?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

James1313
New Community Member
I have also read the emails again thoroughly and one email advised Instantly once I've emailed proof of me sending off parcel with royal mail, then following one " due to high delays it may take 3 hours" and then I've checked another and at the bottom of the email it advises that i wouldn't get the payment until the package is received and the buyer send of the tracking I'd as proof? Also general query is if I'm receiving an email advising the buyer has paid x amount... Is this just part of the scam and he/she can recall that money or isit just fake all together? I've no idea what's going on if its scam and things, thanks in advance
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Intars

Hi James1313,
Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.
Any time you receive an email about activity on your PayPal account, the safest way to confirm the emails’ validity is to log in to your PayPal account via the PayPal website (not using the links in the email received). Any of the activity reported in the email will be available to view. When you receive a payment, you’ll see the money in your account right away. Even if it was placed in your pending balance, you’ll see this. We want you to have complete visibility of your money. We won’t ask you to use a 3rd party such as Western Union, MoneyGram or any other payment processor. Please forward any suspicious emails or websites to spoof@paypal.com, change your password and run a virus scan as a precaution. If we know the email, you will receive an email to confirm whether it was sent by us. If it’s not known to us we will immediately investigate and extract all malicious content. We aggressively work with the parties involved in hosting the content to disable fake emails and websites. If you’ve already shipped the item, reach out to the postal service that you have used and attempt to cancel delivery. To learn more about online safety, click the "Security" link near the bottom of any PayPal page.
-Intars

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.