Possible PayPal Selling Scam

mgend24
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I recently placed a laptop up on Facebook Marketplace. I was contacted by a Facebook user (seemingly real profile and messaging), but the PayPal email I received was 1.) In my spam folder and reported as dangerous 2.) Required me to ship and send shipping confirmation (tracking number) before the money would be delivered/transferred 3.) The email has an email attached called <removed>. 

I need an answer quickly as the UPS package with the laptop is to be delivered tomorrow. I have asked the buyer to send me confirmation of the PayPal transaction via screenshots and videos of the login/PayPal screen. I only received a screenshot of an email and then a picture of a computer screen that looks like it is a PayPal transaction. Please advise me on what to do. Thank you for your help.

@scam 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mgend24 

Hi,

It’s 100% scam. Payment has to be shown in your PayPal account as received first. Even if PayPal puts a hold on the payment, you should still see the payment in your account. With a properly received transaction when you click it, it’ll say if you should ship or not. Providing tracking is purely optional.

Contact UPS to intercept package ASAP!

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mgend24 

Hi,

It’s 100% scam. Payment has to be shown in your PayPal account as received first. Even if PayPal puts a hold on the payment, you should still see the payment in your account. With a properly received transaction when you click it, it’ll say if you should ship or not. Providing tracking is purely optional.

Contact UPS to intercept package ASAP!

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Upyourscrooks
Contributor
Contributor
As soon as they send payment, it shows in paypal, even if paypal holds it in processing. Dont do anything until it shows in your account, never mind what the scammer shows you, any one can do that. It only works one way... they cant demand that you do anything, until paypal confirms your money is on it's way. I often send stuff out before I get paid from money cleared, but I see it in my paypal, so I know it's on it's way. I never send other wise. Not even with the new ebay payments thing. I dont send till it's in iether my paypal, or my bank account.
Login to Me Too

Mikelb69
Contributor
Contributor
I think I got scammed out of a 100 bucks bought some tools on Facebook 2 weeks ago still nothing what do I do
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.