Paypal stole money out of my balance and is holding it hostage in Pending. How do I get it back?

StarkTimer
Contributor
Contributor

So I have a massive problem on my hands. I sold a New Nintendo 3DS to someone back in March, but later I got a message from them requesting a refund saying that the items was not in the package, despite me taping the item in with full intent to ship it to them. When I tried to get the refund out of the way, Ebay said that my transaction couldn't go through and I had to do it on Paypal, but when I got to Paypal, I saw that my balance was at -80.40, as it took out money since the buyer filed a transaction! I paid it back and have been attempting to work things out with Ebay, but I feel like Paypal is holding my money prisoner and is forcing me to pay double for the refund. (Deposited over $80 from my bank and now I'm waiting for the transfer to go through)

I don't know if this is a technical issue or not, but how do I get the 80.40 back to me and out of Pending? If I can't get that Pending money back, how do I get a refund for the 80.40 I used just to have my Paypal balance back at zero? I don't want to have over $80 thrown away because of Paypal's shenanigans.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@StarkTimer 

When a dispute is filed against you, PayPal withholds the amount you received from your balance pending outcome of PayPal claim so if you do not have enough funds in your balance, you have to add funds to zero out the negative (the $80.40). If the dispute is/has not been escalated, you can then issue the refund from within the dispute. PayPal uses the held funds, including the $80.40 you added, to refund the buyer. If the case has been escalated, PayPal will review the case and will make a decision and use those same held funds to refund the buyer or return it back to you if PayPal ruled in your favor. You do not issue refund, PayPal does it in the escalation stage with same funds that are withheld.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@StarkTimer 

When a dispute is filed against you, PayPal withholds the amount you received from your balance pending outcome of PayPal claim so if you do not have enough funds in your balance, you have to add funds to zero out the negative (the $80.40). If the dispute is/has not been escalated, you can then issue the refund from within the dispute. PayPal uses the held funds, including the $80.40 you added, to refund the buyer. If the case has been escalated, PayPal will review the case and will make a decision and use those same held funds to refund the buyer or return it back to you if PayPal ruled in your favor. You do not issue refund, PayPal does it in the escalation stage with same funds that are withheld.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

StarkTimer
Contributor
Contributor

So when does the held money get refunded automatically? Do I have to do something to get the refund done myself? (It's not giving me the option

And if I use the other $80 I just deposited into the balance, will I get the Pending money back?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.