Paypal friend

Pawlik89
Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning I am new here and unfortunately I was fooled and paid by PayPal friends and I was cheated because I did not receive a package. What can I do?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pawlik89

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute apart from an unauthorised transaction (if your account was hacked and used without your consent).

You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods as its against Paypal rules.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately again as it was a 'gift' of money they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Pawlik89
Contributor
Contributor
The payment is from the bank account via paypal, can I just ask the bank to cancel the transfer and whether then the money will be taken from the fraudster or paypal
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pawlik89

When you pay someone either as friends / family OR goods / services then paypal CREDIT them upfront with the funds and then paypal take the wait for the transfer to complete to pay them back again.

If you ask the bank to cancel the transfer then paypal will put YOUR paypal account into negative until YOU pay them back again as they have already done what you requested and paid the money to the person you requested it to be paid to by the method you requested that payment to be sent.

However if you had funded it via a credit card then that card company could file a chargeback via paypal and in that case if you won the seller would have to pay paypal back again, unfortunately it sounds as if you didn't.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Pawlik89
Contributor
Contributor
So it looks like 250 euros went for a thief
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pawlik89

Sadly yep !!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Pawlik89
Contributor
Contributor
Will reporting to the police help, I think you can not leave it because it still happens
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pawlik89

Why would the police be interested? You sent a 'gift' of money to someone, if you expected something back ie goods then you would have used goods / services.

You negated your own protection and sent someone a free gift.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Pawlik89
Contributor
Contributor
It's all so logical that I had to be "stupid" to do something and I'm normally ashamed but skipping my naivety, although it's all logical (shopping is shopping) (money for "mom" is for my mother) robbing people is still robbing you and what way it would not have to be punishable the more that in this way it's not happening since yesterday just for a long time
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pawlik89

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.
You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods as its against Paypal rules.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately again as it was a 'gift' of money they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.