Paypal approves refund without proof or evidence?

Airhaun
Contributor
Contributor

I sold my old laptop on eBay 2 months ago. The buyer behaved strangely, took nearly 4 days to pay then sends a msg threatening to file an eBay claim if package doesn't arrive when UPS tracking says it will. The package arrived on-time, that was April 16th and I haven’t heard from them since… until a couple days ago.

An email from Paypal informing me the buyer has filed a claim requesting a refund stating “Item not as described”.  Seller states, “I ordered a laptop and just opened it to boot it up and it doesn't work".  They go on to allege I have not responded to their numerous attempts to contact me and have attached a screenshot as proof. But in the Resolution Center there is no attachment, no file, no screenshot, no proof.

It's been nearly 2 months since the laptop was sold & delivered. I have not received any msgs from this person on eBay, PayPal or any other accounts. I responded with a detailed letter and 4 supporting documents attached (which are visible and viewable).

After a couple days PayPal informs me they've decided to refund the money and have the item returned! So apparently, all you have to do is start a claim, say that the item doesn't work and seller is ignoring you and PayPal will issue a refund. 

I am not settling for this and will be looking into it further. There is nothing legitimate about this claim to justify PayPal revoking payment and refunding the money.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Airhaun 

A buyer has up to 180 days to open a dispute for item received but not as described (the same timeframe that most credit cards allow).

As paypal never sees the item in question then they tend to find in favour of the buyer BUT the buyer has to return the item back to you at their own expense before you have to issue a refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Airhaun 

A buyer has up to 180 days to open a dispute for item received but not as described (the same timeframe that most credit cards allow).

As paypal never sees the item in question then they tend to find in favour of the buyer BUT the buyer has to return the item back to you at their own expense before you have to issue a refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.