Payment scam / email scam / help.

bagobsessed80
New Community Member

Hi! I am here as I am very confused and quite worried. I made a sale via social media and the buyer and I agreed on them paying via PayPal. However, they kept saying they would send payment after item had been dispatched. Furthermore, they asked for the tracking label info which I gave them. In the meantime, I had an email stating that this person had paid but the email came from the partial email address below :<removed> ( I cannot upload due to policy ) I replied to the email above with the tracking info which looking back was a stupid thing to do but I thought this was all genuine. As the day has gone on, the buyer has said that as soon as the items are dispatched, they will let PayPal know and I will be paid. I have looked high and low on my account but there is no mention of said monies. I am in contact with PayPal directly but I wondered if anyone here could help? Many thanks

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

TonyTam
Contributor
Contributor

No way. You should be paid before item gets shipped. There is no other way.

Because buyer is always protected by PayPal buyer protection program as has much more power to receive his money back even if ship the item.

You need to attach the tracking number (shipping number) and select the carrier to that PayPal transaction after shipping.

There is no other ways to stay protected against scammers. Beware and good luck!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bagobsessed80 

Was it this scam?

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a direct Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails may go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.