Payment on hold

Mikemichaelange
Contributor
Contributor
I am in a deep situation right now and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a feeling that I am being scammed. So recently I sold my old smartphone to this guy online who I don’t know. We both agreed on a price and I shipped the phone to him and he sent his payment through a “secure online auction payment” . I received an email from PayPal saying that my payment is secured and being held until I reply to that email with a picture proof of the shipping label and receipt, so I did what the email said. Acouple hours go by and I get another email from PayPal saying that my PayPal account is not a “Business” account, and that the buyer has to send me an extra 300 dollars to expand my account. I talked to the guy and he agreed to send another 300 to expand my account. Now the payment that is on hold amounts up to 600 now. And he requested that I send him 300 dollars immediately so that he can confirm, and I can get my 600 dollars released into my PayPal account. At the moment, I had no money until I got paid which was another 2 weeks so we put the deal on hold until I got paid. Fast forward two weeks, I got back in touch with him and he told me that I had to buy 300 dollars worth of Steam cards from Walmart and to take a picture of the receipt and codes and then send to him. I also had to reply to the email from PayPal with a picture of the receipt and codes, and so that’s what I did. I waited a couple minutes and I received another email from “PayPal Services” stating that “The account department discovered a problem about the payment that was sent to you”. And it also basically said that a total sum of 920 dollars was sent to me instead of 620 dollars, and the funds weren’t able to be separated. It also stated that all the funds will still be pending in my account until I send the refund of 300 dollars “via any outlet Walmart2walmart” with scanned details and receipts for verification. He texted me saying that an additional 300 dollars was taken from his account without his consent and told me that I needed to send him the refund of 300 dollars so he can confirm it and the money will be released into my account. And I told him that I had no money again until I got paid, and that he would have to wait until I got paid again. He agreed to wait, and that leads up to where I am currently at in this situation. I’m very irritated and I’m starting to get the feeling this guy has bad intentions. Plus I read over all of the emails that I’ve got and I’ve noticed a lot of grammar and spelling errors. If anyone could help me, it would mean the world to me. I’ve been dealing with this situation for almost a month now and it’s been very stressful and time consuming. Thanks in advanced.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mikemichaelange 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a direct Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails may go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also sometimes threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Once you have become a victim they may try again with more fake Paypal emails with other reasons that you must send them a payment for custom fees / to verify, expand or upgrade an account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you as a seller to send money for anything before being paid and only then for postage costs once the funds are in your paypal balance. They never tell you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram, Western Union, Bank Transfer or any sort of gift token or voucher.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mikemichaelange
Contributor
Contributor
Could you recommend the next steps I should take? Thank you so much for the feedback. I don’t know what I would do without your help
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.