Payment on hold and buyer want buy other items to ship to him, is scam or not?

Trios
Contributor
Contributor

As a new seller on eBay, my item is sold, but buyer just sent the money to my PayPal,and PayPal hold the money.

Meanwhile, buyer want me to buy gift cards with item. Then, I bought them and took photo to buyer.And buyer sent additional money to me.

PayPal want me to confirm a tracking number and gift cards to them for verification. Next, buyer want more gift cards during weekend, I can't take more risk to purchase those gift cards to buyer. Is this scam or I need to call PayPal customer service to find out my payment.(hope you can understand. I'll reply as soon as possible if someone reply me.)

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Trios 

SCAM.

They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and DO NOT have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Once you have become a victim they may try again with more fake Paypal emails with other 'reasons' that you must send them a payment for custom fees / gift cards for varying reasons etc.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service or expect you to buy gift cards before you are paid.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Trios
Contributor
Contributor

Additional information, and there is no payment pending in my activity at all. ONLY email me with payment note said buyer sent the money to me. What can I do?

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Trios 

SCAM.

They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and DO NOT have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Once you have become a victim they may try again with more fake Paypal emails with other 'reasons' that you must send them a payment for custom fees / gift cards for varying reasons etc.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service or expect you to buy gift cards before you are paid.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Trios
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks a lot! I just checked PayPal always send to customers with last first name, but they don’t. The thing is i already bought 500 bucks gift cards to them. What can I do next? Is any way can get money back?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.