PayPal scam

emmabrady
Contributor
Contributor
I sold a phone to someone on Depop. They sent the money to my PayPal and it was on hold as it was over £300. I sent the item tracked delivery and shows as delivered to the address I was provided with on Depop. The person is now claiming item not received even though it is. Upon looking into this their PayPal shows a different address compared to the one that I was given. So I’m potentially not covered by seller protection. However I have screenshots of the conversation from when the buyer told me the address. By the way, the seller has now deleted their account And logged the dispute on the same day it was delivered so it’s clearly a scam. I have provided PayPal with all the evidence in the hope this will go in my favour. Has anyone else had a similar experience or heard about this type of scam?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emmabrady 

For paypal seller protection you have to send to the PAYPAL registered address of the buyer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

emmabrady
Contributor
Contributor
I’m aware of that but clearly I’ve been scammed, the address on their PayPal is probably a fake address.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emmabrady 

Unlikely or they wouldn't be able to add it to their paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.