PayPal enabling Conmen

Cravo15
Contributor
Contributor
I have been in dispute with PayPal for a month now. Someone bought an iPhone from me on eBay. It was immaculate and I sent it to an Argos store in Birmingham for click and collect. Ten days later the buyer contacted me stating the front camera wasn’t working. I asked for proof and if that was the case happy for a refund to take place. The user immediately shut down his eBay account. Two weeks later they disputed through PayPal and the buyer proved a tracking number for a return. I never receive the item but it said delivered. The item had been sent from Romford not Birmingham. I called PayPal and explained and they said they would get proof of postage from the buyer. I heard nothing for a week until I received an email stating they had sided with the buyer and refunded the £200. I called them again and told them I had NOT received the phone which they told me to call Royal Mail and find out where the item was sent to. Royal Mail sent me a letter stating that the phone was NOT sent to my home address so I sent this letter to PayPal yet they still side with the buyer. I dont know what else I can do but I am £400 down and they seem totally unwilling to help me here.
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cravo15 

Need to call PayPal again.

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Was there also a weight of the package that was return that showed it couldn't have been a phone? Royal Mail can't just say that it was not the address and that's it. Does RM use GPS tracking on their deliveries like the US Postal Service does? And was it an envelop the buyer shipped? An empty box? I'd also file a police report and any internet fraud site the uk has to report this kinda of stuff to like the US does: ic3.gov

Don't sell online what you can't afford to lose. Cash and carry. Smartphones are a magnet for these kinds of scams. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Cravo15
Contributor
Contributor
Hi sharpiemaker No the tracking info from the buyer stated it was to my home town but not address and due to GDPR regulations Royal Mail are unable to tell me the address it was sent to. All they can confirm is that it was not my address or any of the addresses on my PayPal or eBay account. I have asked PayPal several times to get the information from the buyer which they stated they will but have never shown my any evidence that they have indeed gotten this info from the buyer. I will never ever use eBay again and will only sell things through Facebook marketplace. This whole saga has killed any faith I have in both eBay and PayPal and if PayPal wasn’t so useful I would deregister altogether. I can not afford to be £400 down and no one is doing anything to help me.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cravo15 

Not even City, Neighborhood, zip code? Not even weight of the package? This is mail fraud we are talking about here. Don't UK have any thing to assist with that? Make a police report or internet crime report to make this official to take to these people, something. This some BS, tbh. This is theft we're talking about here. I dunno. Gawd.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Cravo15
Contributor
Contributor
@sharpiemaker I think the only thing I can do is call PayPal and if they refuse to help me which is what they seem to be doing despite “assisting” then I will have to call the police and file a report. Interestingly I cannot find the name of the buyer on any electoral rolls either. All of the evidence points to a conman I don’t understand why PayPal are not seeing this.
Login to Me Too

Esml08
Contributor
Contributor
Did you ever get sorted with this as I’ve had the exact same thing happen?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.