PayPal Dispute lost as Seller

jmurphy23
Contributor
Contributor

I sold an item to someone on Depop, who had previously never used Depop or bought any items on there. I shipped the item to the address attached to both their Depop and PayPal Account - "<removed>, Harrow, Middlesex, HA3 6LG" I sent this with Royal Mail 1st class signed for, which includes a tracking number. The item hadn't arrived after a week and never did, this is because the address in the buyers account is actually a street and does not include a house number, so Royal Mail were unable to deliver the item, which is now, I assume at the National Returns Centre. The buyer opened a PayPal dispute claiming that they had not received the item and so wanted a refund, PayPal reviewed this case and sided in favour of the buyer, claiming that they were "unable to verify delivery" despite the information that the seller had provided an invalid address and so delivery would have been impossible. As the seller, I feel very hard done by as I followed all of the rules and regulations in selling the item, and there was nothing I could have done to make this transaction successful. I have appealed the decision, but have once again been told that PayPal have sided in favour of the buyer as they could not verify delivery. To me, PayPal has thoroughly failed to offer any seller protection here, and its possible for any individual - as a buyer to scam any seller by doing the same as happened to me; providing an invalid shipping address and then filing for a dispute when the item never arrives.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jmurphy23 

You're only "protected" if the buyer claims they did't receive their item but tracking shows it was delivered. Your tracking info doesn't so you have to refund and wait until your item is returned to you. Relist item on depop and sell it again. 

Best practice is to check the shipping address with your postal service and/or customer before shipping for house number if one is not provided.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jmurphy23 

Not all houses have numbers and the name of the house and postcode is normally fine for delivery.

So if the item was lost in the post then yes the buyer should have a refund and you can claim dependent on how you chose to send the item.

If just undelivered then it should return back to you with the return address you put on the item when you sent it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jmurphy23
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass <removed> is the name of the street, and has several hundred houses on it, I don't think the item was lost in the post, I think that Royal Mail were unable to deliver it as there was no specific house to deliver it to. Unfortunately, I didn't attach a return address to the parcel - which is my fault and I understand now that I should have, and I have started to do this to all the items I sell from now onwards. But I didn't, and so the item, I assume will never find its way back to me, which is why I feel hard done by by PayPal

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.