PayPal Buyer Scam

HarryPilch
Contributor
Contributor
I recently sold a pair of £300 shoes to a buyer. He told me that he put the wrong description and address on the PayPal and told me on Instagram that ‘he was unable to change the information’ and to follow the new address on Instagram which I have done. I took screenshots of these in case of a dispute. A day after the item was posted he deleted those comments and blocked me on Instagram. The original address on the PayPal was to a Chinese pick up service in London and is only a few minutes away to the address he sent me via Instagram. I used Royal Mail first class signed for as my postage and when it was signed for it was signed by J.Johnson which he claims is not him to which I believe is a fake name as the signature does not resemble the name and is just squiggles. In the buyers dispute message he claimed that I did not respond to his messages and since he blocked me on Instagram there was no way I could see or respond to those messages he is sending. The coincidence I also noticed is that the buyers name is different to the name on the dispute information name to the postage name he provided to me on both Instagram and PayPal. The original postage address was to a Chinese parcel collection service and the buyer is also Chinese to which raises my concerns. Any help would be appreciated.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HarryPilch 

Anytime when a customer says 'I put/have the wrong shipping address on the payment", ALWAYS refund and ask them to repay and include the correct address on the payment. Otherwise, its a no-go on the order. Repeat this however many times as needed, deducting the refund fee, each time. To have seller protection, you MUST must, MUST ship to the address on the payment. It is one of the main requirements. You have negated your protection. PayPal is ruling according to policy, if you end up losing this case.

"For tangible items, post the item to the shipping address on the “Transaction Details” page. If the item is delivered in person or if the Payment Recipient posts the item to a different address (for example, if the buyer asks that you send to another address on the basis that it is a “work address” or a “gift” address) then you will not be eligible for re-imbursement under the terms of the programme.

You may access the “Transactions Details” page by logging into your PayPal Account, selecting “History” and then selecting “Details” for the transaction."

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_GB#r011

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.