Negative balance - someone is attempting to scam me

Eagle42
Contributor
Contributor

I helped someone around 2 months ago (he's the friend of someone I know) with buying a monthly subscription for a software (there were 2 licenses, so 10 USD in total) which only accepts CC payment so it's kinda considered as reselling. Everything went okay, he gave me the money as goods&services, I bought the licenses, I sent him the payment proofs (on Discord, a VoIP service, which is similar to Skype) & he thanked me...And after 2 months, he opened a dispute, stating that he did not "receive the item" which is FALSE and he is just trying to scam me by requesting a refund (he managed to escalate the issue to paypal before me, because I tried on the amicably way to discuss with the guy. I managed to get in touch with him and all he said was "oh i didnt know it was you why did you change your discord name sorry for that bla bla bla... i will cancel the case now -which obviously didn't happen because he blocked me after asking him multiple times...for 2 days straight-". He also lied in the case by saying "I attempted to purchase a Rockstar account and i never got a response and he blocked all way of communicating with me". There wasn't any rockstar account involved and I appealed the claim right after he managed to escalate it. I've attached 10 screenshots with our conversation, which include payment proofs, the buyer confirming his identity as well as the end of the conversation, where he blocked me. On the other side, I've also explained everything that happened and now I'm just waiting for a response. I also asked him why he chose goods&services and his response was "to not pay a fee". He already knew I was trusted because I was recommended by my friend & he still chose it. I didn't care that much about a goods&services payment but as long as you don't experience something you will never fell the pain...
The case estimate is March 18th. But now I got a few questions:
If I will lose the case, will they charge me $20 as a dispute fee? I do wanna mention that the refund was not yet issued/nor did he ask his bank to issue one. And if they will, they will take those $20 dollars from my CC? Besides the fact that my balance is already negative (-10USD/-7.53EUR). And 20 is way to much for a dispute + I live in a country where money is a problem (Romania).
What will happen if I will never top up my balance so it will be positive again? I already know that paypal works in a really bad way that in 90% of cases the buyer wins the case, even with the proofs attached. I do not want to pay for a thief's damage.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Lucybear
Contributor
Contributor
I have similar problem I paid my sons girlfriends car insurance 628.00 she was to pay back as she could she made 17.payments in amounts $10, $15, $32 ETC. My son broke up with her and she said she did not authorize the payments and opened 17 disputes. Pay pal found in her favor...how is it possible that they think someone used her card 17 different times over the course of 2 months. She is committing fraud and pay pal helped her. I answered each dispute and they still gave her the money back...pay.pal will not even answer me.
Login to Me Too

Eagle42
Contributor
Contributor

I fell really bad for you...PayPal is literally the worst service I've ever used in my entire life (their conversion rate is really bad) & I will never return to it after the claim will be closed. I hope they will go in my favor because the scammer lied to them & he didn't attach any proof such as screenshots when submitting the case. But unlike him, I did these steps & I did not lie to them. I would be really surprised if I will lose the case...
From now on I'll only do bank transfer...I'm done with PayPal.
& If I was you I would've rushed to her house and threaten her until the money would go back into your account. That's the only way to deal with someone you know.
And if you won't be able to get your money back just don't pay them.
@Lucybear 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.