Negative balance coz someone 'wrongly' sent me money and got refunded!

kaushalonline
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! 

I had to write here because the Service Center is down, and i've tried getting this resolved on social media too.

On April 4th, one 'Fabian <removed> ' sent me $150 erroneously which he "intended to send to his brother but got the email wrong".

I received an email from an 'Altar' first, and i'm guessing he is his brother. how his name / email is similar to mine (Kaushal) is beyond me.

Both asked me to refund the money, which i promptly did - although my balance was 0.00 since the $141.86 was 'On Hold' (minus $8.14 PayPal fees).

As soon as i refunded it and sent them the screenshot as proof, they changed the case to 'goods not received' and despite my explanation / appeal, PayPal refunded the amount (which is fine) BUT they charged ME the $8.14, turning my balance to negative.

Is this a scam? and did Fabian & Altar make good with the extra money? Please help resolve this.

They have also promised to return me the charge IF PayPal doesn't reverse it, but i want to first ensure i'm not falling for something deeper, if it's a scam! Also want to know how to ensure something like this doesn't happen again. 

The entire case details have also been shared by me as a Twitter DM with AskPayPal and i've also sent it via Messaging / Inbox

Thank you for your attention. Stay safe and take care.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kaushalonline
Contributor
Contributor

I'd like to share an update that PayPal staff got in touch today and negated this, so all is well.

This was a painful experience, but i'm hoping something like this doesn't ever happen again.

Big thanks to the PayPal team for resolving this and clarifying that this was a genuine thing, not a scam.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.