Money on Hold, am I being scammed?

DoubleDD114
Contributor
Contributor

I've recently sold a laptop via Facebook Marketplace and the buyer asked if I could ship it to them and they would send me the money via Paypal. 

I agreed and I went and sent them the laptop and sent them and Paypal the tracking number for confirmation. It's been about a little over a week since this has happened (6/11/2019) and I have still yet to receive my payment. It keeps on saying that it's pending. 

I keep asking the buyer to see what's the problem but I now I can't get in contact with them? 

Help!!! AM I BEING SCAMMED? 

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DoubleDD114 wrote:

The tracking says delivered on (6/17/19). So does this mean I am being scammed or not? I'm very new to this and I need all the help I can get. 

Thanks 

Duyen 

Is there a payment transaction for the amount of the laptop that is marked "On Hold" in red in your PayPal account, that is crucial to the answer.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

DoubleDD114
Contributor
Contributor

No, I do not see it marked as "on hold". 😪😩

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DoubleDD114 wrote:

No, I do not see it marked as "on hold". 😪😩

Hold up, don't cry just yet. Do you see the transaction for the laptop money under the Completed section of the Activity page? Do you see the money for the laptop in the Available PayPal balance?

Login to Me Too

DoubleDD114
Contributor
Contributor

Nooo the only thing I see is the screenshot of what I have sent before. I don't see a paypal balance anywhere or a completed section anywhere. 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DoubleDD114 

The screenshot is still now appearing yet, it's some warning icon placeholder at the moment as it has not been approved yet.

File police report, file a report with the US PostMaster for mail fraud and ic3.gov so the authorities will go after the person.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DoubleDD114 

If you see the payment marked on hold in red and you see a balance in your pending balance, and the item is delivered, call PayPal customer service to release the funds by giving them tracking number:

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. Say "Live Agent" to the automated recording.

Or private message via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal 

Login to Me Too

DoubleDD114
Contributor
Contributor

I will try to give them a call tomorrow during business hours but I'm not sure if they can do anything about this. 😓😩

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DoubleDD114 wrote:

I will try to give them a call tomorrow during business hours but I'm not sure if they can do anything about this. 😓😩

You're right, there isn't much they can do since payment was not received all there is is a pending money request. Sorry this happened. 

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-know-if-my-money-request-or-invoice-has-been-pa...

File those reports, at least with the US Postmaster, they do go after people.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DoubleDD114 

can't see image yet...it has to be approved first. ugh.

Login to Me Too

RicEredi
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me too as of now.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.