Money on Hold, am I being scammed?

DoubleDD114
Contributor
Contributor

I've recently sold a laptop via Facebook Marketplace and the buyer asked if I could ship it to them and they would send me the money via Paypal. 

I agreed and I went and sent them the laptop and sent them and Paypal the tracking number for confirmation. It's been about a little over a week since this has happened (6/11/2019) and I have still yet to receive my payment. It keeps on saying that it's pending. 

I keep asking the buyer to see what's the problem but I now I can't get in contact with them? 

Help!!! AM I BEING SCAMMED? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DoubleDD114 wrote:

So basically what happened was that they told me to put a request through Paypal, which I did and they said they would make a payment. But I think I got scammed because if they're not responding then there must be something that they're hiding and along with the fake Paypal emails too. 

I'm really sad, is there anything I can do about this? 

Oh no, wait so, you sent a money request and that is what's still pending and not marked as Paid at all...ugh, yeah, then yeah its a scam. 😭 I'm so sorry.

Call or contact PayPal customer service to confirm for sure because no one here can see your account. So sorry. 😞

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. Say "Live Agent" to the automated recording.

Or private message via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DoubleDD114 

You got scammed. Even if your payment is subject to PayPal's 21 day funds availability hold, a record of payment should show if the buyer "really" paid. They sent you a fake PayPal email. Always log on to your PayPal to check if payment is there.

If the package has not been delivered, attempt to intercept the package asap!

Login to Me Too

DoubleDD114
Contributor
Contributor

So I'm guessing all those emails they've been sending me that's from Paypal is fake? 
Is there a way I can report this or something? I feel so violated

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DoubleDD114 wrote:

So I'm guessing all those emails they've been sending me that's from Paypal is fake? 
Is there a way I can report this or something? I feel so violated

That depends, is there really a transaction in your PayPal account that's pending or a record of payment? The way you wrote it, seemed as if you just shipped it out, I may have misunderstood...didn't have my coffee yet. 😖 😞

There's a lot of scams where fake PayPal emails are sent telling unsuspecting sellers that their payment is on hold and send tracking number first.

Login to Me Too

DoubleDD114
Contributor
Contributor

So basically what happened was that they told me to put a request through Paypal, which I did and they said they would make a payment. But I think I got scammed because if they're not responding then there must be something that they're hiding and along with the fake Paypal emails too. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DoubleDD114 wrote:

Oh no, wait so, you sent a money request and that is what's still pending and not marked as Paid at all...ugh, yeah, then yeah its a scam. 😭 I'm so sorry.

Call or contact PayPal customer service to confirm for sure because no one here can see your account. So sorry. 😞

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. Say "Live Agent" to the automated recording.

Or private message via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DoubleDD114 

Is it pending IN your paypal account balance or not showing in your balance at all?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DoubleDD114
Contributor
Contributor

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 1.05.05 AM.png

This is all that it says

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DoubleDD114 

Does the tracking say "delivered"? Paypal has to confirm delivery with USPS before it releases funds. If tracking status is not updated to "delivered" release of funds could be delayed. Then you may end up waiting the full 21 days for funds to be released or have the buyer to "confirm receipt" but if they are not responding, you'll have to wait the 21 days. I think it is best you wait the 21 days because the buyer can report a problem with the transaction and dispute. They have 180 days to. 

Login to Me Too

DoubleDD114
Contributor
Contributor

The tracking says delivered on (6/17/19). So does this mean I am being scammed or not? I'm very new to this and I need all the help I can get. 

Thanks 

Duyen 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.