Mercari possible scam?

Jcash3
New Community Member

Okay. I just recently made a Mercari account and I was looking to buy an Iphone 7 plus from a seller. Well, I go to message them about it and it seems legitimate. I try and buy it and it says, "post unavailable". Why is this? Well, I start messaging the seller via text. Everything is going well, and he says he has a business account on paypal. I say, "okay that sounds good". He sends me his paypal link. I go through the steps and start thinking is this really legit? He wants me to send $320 us dollars to his account, and says he will send the phone today and I'll get it within two days. As good as this sounds, I think its a scam. I've always used paypal through companies, but not like this. What happens if I send it and dont receive my phone? Will the seller be contacted by paypal? Will I get my money back? I need help like RIGHT NOW! What do I do? This persons paypal link is <removed>. His name is Christian <removed>, but his name on mercari was "jonathan". Sounds suspicious doesnt it?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Of course it's suspicious.

Never try to buy an iPhone on the iternet.  There are way too many scams of sellers looking for suckers.

Only purchase from companies which have a valid phone number for you to call for verification.

Login to Me Too

Lisanh1984
Contributor
Contributor
I know this answer is a little late, but I figured I would answer anyway, in case someone else has a simalir question/issue. In regards to Mercari you are covered as a buyer as long as you pay through the Mercari app. Any off app transactions are prohibited and there shouldn't be any reason a seller is trying to get you to pay outside of the app, unless it is a scam. Now if you were to purchase said iPhone through the Mercari app you are covered as a buyer because Mercari holds the funds until you as the buyer recieves the product and then rate the buyer before funds will be released to the seller. If you either do not receive the item or item is not as described or damaged, you will be refunded your money. Also now all that being said if you make any purchase with PayPal make sure it is not with the friends and family option because you will not be covered with PayPal's buyer protection.
Login to Me Too

RaitheBerserker
New Community Member

I had similar issue on Mercari, but it was for a Xbox One for $100, the seller was new to Mercari, but the seller gave me their phone number and I asked about the condition of the item. The seller ignored my question and asked if I could pay with Paypal app which raised some red flags for me, since that would be like writing off a check to someone with no guarantee that you get what you pay for. Honestly from my experience selling and buying on Ebay, it is best to take no risks when it comes to situations like that, pay only through the site that is the only way you are guaranteed to get your money back if it is a scam or not as described. I will admit from seller's perspective Paypal and Ebay are not always out to protect the seller, I have gotten **bleep** over by customers with returns, Paypal and Ebay are useless when comes those situations.

Login to Me Too

emily2002
New Community Member
this happen to me. the was suppose to send my item like three day ago but she didnt but i have her email doe and also zelle dont want to give me a refund
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Cristina

Hi @emily2002,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our Community Help Forum!

I am sorry about your issue. If you did not receive the item, you may open a dispute in your Resolution Centre. By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction. If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute to a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

To open a dispute:

1.    Go to the Resolution Centre.
2.    Click Dispute a Transaction.
3.    Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
4.    Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

I hope this helps.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

Constance019
New Community Member
I was scammed too! They are the worst!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.