Lost case on virtual product but client received it and uses it

georgec0022
Contributor
Contributor
I have developed a website for a client. About a month ago, me and my client had an argument and she decided to take the site down (was on her server already) and opened a dispute. I handed over all the evidence I could that I did my job (backup website, design of the website, information I received from my client) but PayPal refused my proof and give my client credit. After my appeal period was over, my client uploaded the website back and she uses it freely. Has anyone had a similar issue? What was the way you dealt with it? Thanks
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @georgec0022,

I'm very sorry to hear that the client is still using the website that you developed. While PayPal makes every effort during a dispute to examine the situation, virtual goods are not covered under Seller Protection. I regret that there wouldn't be any way to require that the buyer repay for the goods, and in the absence of Seller Protection eligibility, there would be no coverage from PayPal.

I'm sorry for the outcome of this situation.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

georgec0022
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Olivia and thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your answer, it is far better than the robotic ones sent by Paypal customer support. Not to mentioned that I got hung up twice when I tried to call you. I have another question if you say virtual goods are not covered by Seller Protection. Why are they covered by buyer protection in this case? And how Paypal reaches a conclusion if they are not able to verify virtual good? I am no the only one who had similar issues with buyers of virtual good and you must make this right for me and thousands of freelancers who use your services

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @georgec0022,

I'm very sorry to hear that your calls were disconnected! That's definitely not the experience we want to have happen.

Thank you for your feedback regarding buyer and seller protection. PayPal does do the best possible job it can to adjudicate disputes as fairly as possible and have outcomes that make sense based on the information we have at our disposal. Protection coverage itself represents the ability for PayPal to ensure the recovery of the funds, even if at our own loss. When the risks associated with the type of transaction a seller opts to receive can be mitigated with guidelines such as providing proof of delivery from a reputable shipper, shipping to the address in the transaction details, etc., PayPal can assume those risks and provide coverage when those guidelines are met. In categories where risk cannot be mitigated effectively, protection coverage cannot be offered.

Sellers have the right and the responsibility to examine their risk and determine whether or not the risk inherent in their particular business model is acceptable to them. Some sellers will certainly opt not to continue selling virtual goods and services, and that is what's right for them. For those who do decide to sell those goods, the risks of that type of business are assumed by the seller and factored into their cost of doing business.

I regret any disappointment with the way that protections are allotted. In my experience, the the ability for the buyer to be covered for transactions is what induces those customers to make purchases they might otherwise not make for fear of non-delivery. The ubiquity of buyers who shop online with confidence is due in large part to the security afforded by the coverage offered for those transactions.

I hope this helps.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.