Local agent pickup- how to protect myself as a seller

rondesh

I am selling some furniture on GumTree and I have a lady claiming she is interested in buying the items but she not able to be there in person because she is currently moving cities. She said she will transfer me money via PayPal and will have a local pickup agent do the pickup and the delivery. How do I determine if this is a scam or not? What worries me is, will they be able to reverse the PayPal transaction after picking up the furniture? Or file a claim issuing a refund (on some absurd basis)?
How do I protect myself? Bill of Sale? not go through this transaction? 

Your inputs are appreciated.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rondesh 

Pick ups are not covered for Item Not Received claim ("For Item Not Received claims, items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including items bought in a seller’s store location.") but the buyer can file a Significantly Not As Described dispute though, or even file a chargeback/reversal with their financial institution.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

AstonNC
Contributor
Contributor

I generally tell them to use one of the marketplace delivery apps for local pickup if they start getting weird about picking up. I usually use the Phlatbed app since most power sellers on FB Marketplace and CL are familiar with it. It's like Uber for local pickups for Facebook marketplace items especially if you're in metropolitan or surrounding areas. I include it in the description, and transaction when I'm selling, or factor it into pricing. Once we agree, then via the Phlatbed app they can arrange pickup without worrying about dealing with that issue. Usually if they continue to harp about it I know it's not a real transaction and I move on.

If it's in my neighborhood I simply drive there or meet halfway somewhere.

Facebook marketplace local pickupFacebook marketplace local pickup      Craigslist local pickupCraigslist local pickup      local marketplace pickuplocal marketplace pickup      Facebook marketplace local pickupFacebook marketplace local pickup      Screenshot_20201007-185408.png

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.