Is this a scam?

juliamac824
New Community Member

Hi,

I recently advertised an item for sale on gumtree  I agreed the sale and the seller wanted to pay via PayPal so I opened an account.  I have now received an email allegedly from Paypal saying that they have received the funds but they are holding them as the payment includes an extra amount that I need to forward to the courier picking up the item.  There is nothing showing in my account. They have also sent an email form my PayPal representative asking that I contact him directly with any queries. Is this a scam?  I have emailed the buyer back directly and said I am not sending funds until I have spoken to PayPal directly when they open later this morning.  Any help or advice appreciated meantime.  Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @juliamac824,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you received an email that sounds like a scam. I'm glad you noticed that it didn't seem right! That's not a legitimate email from PayPal.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.