Is this a scam or not

Grant1958
Contributor
Contributor

I have someone that is requesting my full name and Paypal email so they can pay me for a motorbike they have not seen

Seems like a scam - can they rip me off if I give them my full name and email address

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

phreaktor
Contributor
Contributor
They need your email to be able to pay you unless you have a Business account and send them an invoice. If I was purchasing a vehicle like that, I’d want all your information as well. Either way, they will see your registered name in their Account Activity when they make the payment. What do you mean by “haven’t seen it”? As in they have not seen photos or have not seen it in person? Where did they initially contact you regarding the item? Are they local or at least in your country? Always go with your gut, especially when someone starts overcomplicating a basic transaction or making unusual requests. You can request a copy of their drivers license if you feel iffy. Do some research on their info and email address. Even still, anyone can rip you off using PayPal by opening a Claim and sending you back a box of bricks. PayPal will not listen to you after you accept the return and it shows as delivered. Use common sense.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Grant1958 

@phreaktor 

Sounds like this scam..........

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment.

They ask for your email address and name to send you FAKE paypal emails.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via anther payment processor than Paypal OR via providing some vouchers or tokens BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the bike, they just want that couriers/shipping funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.